Home Forum Ask A Member PO-37 Johnson water tubes question…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gjonz
    Participant

I have a 1937 Johnson PO37 that runs, but was not cooling properly. So upon pulling the power head and lower unit off I found one of the water tubes inside the driveshaft housing was plugged. Upon further inspection I also noted BOTH tubes were round at each end…BUT we’re crimped perfectly along the length of each tube with the exception of the end 3 inches or so

Is this correct? If not…how could they have gotten so perfectly creased down the length of BOTH tubes?

I swear it looks like they we machined this way.

If they are not…can they be replaced? How?

Thx!

Greg

ftruntz
      Participant

US Member

If the driveshaft was pulled through the towerhousing top to bottom to remove it will collapse the water tubes. Can only be removed from the top.

gjonz
        Participant

Can they be replaced?

george-emmanuel
          Participant

US Member

That is a frequent condition for those motors. Only if the tubes are completely collapsed should they be replaced, and quite frankly it is much easier to find another driveshaft housing. Blow air through the tubes.—is there a good flow coming through? If so, it should work fine. You stated the cause was a blockage. If the blockage was successfully removed do you now have good flow?

gjonz
            Participant

Seems to flow okay. Water flows…but may be slightly resticted. I had a helluva time getting a wire down into the tube…but finally had success. I used a wire with a kink in it chucked into my drill to open up the clog.

Guess I can run it and see what happens.

Problem with replacing the mid-section is…I painted this one during restoration. LOL. Never knew enough to look for this issue at that time.

Greg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.