Home Forum Ask A Member PO Question, have to ask again!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spike
    Participant

I asked this question quite some time ago, had the answers stored in my favorites on the old board. With my memory can’t recall the answers. On my 1948 Johnson PO exhaust relief valve the spring is broken and only partly there. Seems to me one of the answers was that the spring was not necessary to operate the valve? If the spring is required what would be the correct length of the spring? I know it should be a fairly light pressure one if it is necessary at all. Can anyone help me out. ❓

george-emmanuel
      Participant

US Member

The spring is not required. None of my PO’s had surviving springs and the valve worked well. I would suggest for best performance that you remove the piston from the housing and clean everything well. Exhaust pressure forces the valve open and water pressure forces it closed. What you will notice when idling is the piston will reciprocate some which does nothing to hurt performance. The retaining clip is not spring steel, and invariably when you remove it, it tends to bend inward resulting in a loose fit. So prior to re-installing it, bend it outwards a bit for a snug fit.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.