Home Forum Ask A Member Re-assembly questions for 1914 Evinrude RBM Model B

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Larry McKeough
    Participant

US Member

I’m at the point of reassembling the motor. It’s completely apart. Numerous questions:

1  Do I use a sealant when assembling the bronze crank case halves?  If so what should I get?

2 There didn’t appear to be any gasket in-between the cylinder and the bronze crank case. Do I need a gasket? How thick? or some kind of sealant?

3 Is there a way to test the magneto before installing it? Resistance readings etc??

4  I REALLY NEED A NEW GAS TANK!! ANY ADVICE??

Thanks,

Larry

The Boat House
      Participant

The chances of finding a replacement gas tank are slim. Is yours rusted through or bent? If if is bent your best option is to fix it. The Buccaneer made one. If he still has pictures he may share them or a link to that thread. No sealants in 1914.  Tubs
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        The Boat House
        Participant

You say you really need a gas tank but some may wish they had yours, without seeing yours or you describing its issues. Is it rusted through or just dented. I’ve never seen an Evinrude tank for sale that didn’t need major repairs. I paid $25.00 for the tank on top for parts to make some of the repairs needed on the tank underneath. The 2nd tank only needed some straightening.  There may be a nice straight tank out there for you but expect to pay hundreds of dollars. Tubs

Larry McKeough
          Participant

US Member

Thanks for the photos. Here are some of mine.

What do you think??

Larry McKeough
            Participant

US Member

Two more

The Boat House
              Participant

You need another tank. Tubs
                joecb
                Participant

US Member

What Tubs said … your tank looks too far gone to be salvaged; not enough metal left to work with. Option #1 find a usable tank, but that too likely will need repair.  Option #2 find a crafty person that is able to make a new one. I made one for my Caille, not an easy job, that I would be willing to undertake again. ( couple of pix attached). Option #3 as a expedient, coat the inside of your tank with epoxie (not polyester resin) and use it. I did that with a very rusty/ perforated tank on my Caille Liberty. It worked out well. Don’t expect it to hold up for long term gasoline exposure, but day use and drain it seems to be OK.

Joe B

Larry McKeough
                  Participant

US Member

I restored the gas tank and took her for a ride!!  1914 Evinrude RBM

https://youtu.be/G_4k1yuZqvQ

stanley
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good work!You should be proud.Can you share your solutions to the tanks problems?

fastjohn
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If anyone else needs a tank like this,  I have one.  I need a flywheel for a 1914 motor with a magneto.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.