Home Forum Ask A Member Re-assembly questions for 1914 Evinrude RBM Model B

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

That is quite an accomplishment. It looks outstanding in the video. How about some more pictures? Tubs
      Larry McKeough
      Participant

US Member

Hi Stanley,

Thanks for asking!

This tank was pretty bad. Very rusted and tons of pinholes and areas where there was no metal at all left.

First I used an electrolysis process to remove all the rust. Never did that before. I worked fantastic! Just google it.

Next I soldered every pin hole. Put a flash light inside the tank so I could see them all. There must have been 200 or more.  I used 3 rolls of solder! I would solder the hole and then use a Dremel to grind it smooth.

Next I cut pieces of brass sheet and formed them to fit where the missing metal was. Including 4 corners, two holes in the sides and the cone shaped piece on the bottom.  I soldered them all in place.

Then I put water in the tank and found more pin holes to solder.

Finally I decided it was basically sealed up. Then I used Rage Gold Bondo and did the whole tank. Unfortunately I lost the raised (embossed) moldings on the sides but saved the ones on the top. I put masking tape over the forward and reverse letters on the top and was very careful to preserve them and the brass ser. # name plate.

Next I sealed the inside of the tank with POR 15 gas tank sealer and let it sit for 2 weeks.  Had to be very careful with the tiny hole inside the tank (right under the cap) that lets the gas flow into the mixing valve. Couldn’t seal that up.

Next spray paint and decals!

Seems to work fine but I won’t leave gas in it when I’m done. Just as easy to drain it out.

Larry

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Larry McKeough
        Participant

US Member

Here you go!

The Boat House
          Participant

Amazing. Way above my skill level. Your pictured didn’t load. Seems to be an on going problem here. If you will email them to me I can upload them on a picture site and post the link here. old.days@yahoo.com Tubs
            Larry Caton
            Participant

US Member

That’s so cool!
              Just out of curiosity, is the gas tank soldered together? If it is, I was wondering if it could be de-soldered and the components used as templates to make new parts.

stanley
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You had the will and found a way.That’s quite an achievement.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.