Home Forum Ask A Member Recoil Spring Replacement

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jeff-register
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jim,
      I like your idea except I get a helper to feed me the spring & keep the twist out of the spring. Once together I spin the preloaded spring just enough to pull the rope back in & no more. Overtighting it will stress the spring & the operator. Cut the extra rope & attach the handle.

marvk
      Participant

Thanks for all the tips. 😉

I read the service manual on replacing the spring. So if I understand it correctly,

1. Cut and remove the old rope,

2. Carefully replace the coiled spring, greasing as I go. Can I assume white lithium grease? It looks like that was originally used.

3. Reassemble the pulley to the housing making sure each end of the spring inserted into their corresponding pins.

4. Wind the spring tight, then back off until the rope hole/slot lines up.

5. Insert a pin to keep spring from uncoiling.

6. Install rope and tie a knot in the end.

7. Remove the pin and slowly allow the spring to coil the rope back into the housing. Assuming the rope is the correct length, the "J" mark should be close to lining up on the housing.

I’m sure I’m making this sound more difficult than it actually is. 😉

legendre
        Participant
          quote MarvK:

I’m sure I’m making this sound more difficult than it actually is.

Yeah, well… measure twice, cut once. You’re doing it right.

chris-p
          Participant

Tie a figure 8 knot. The rope length will likely need fine tuning, no big deal.

Hardest part is dropping the spindle onto the coiled spring, and getting the pin in.

Some drop right down in, some take a couple minutes.

wiscoboater
            Participant

I can attest to getting the rope starter lined up properly. My 59 evinrude was off quite a bit and I would have to pull that sucker out half way before it caught. My shoulder still hurts.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.