Home Forum Ask A Member Stainless nuts bolts in Aluminum boat

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member

Not to completely re-direct the thread; but I had been thinking of posting the question, "What, exactly, causes galling of stainless threads?" I KNOW the result all too well; and I KNOW how to AVOID it. What I want to know WHY it happens. (Please don’t tell me because there is no grease; I get that already.) It seems to basically weld itself, with virtually no heat, to speak of. How in tarnation is that possible?

Long live American manufacturing!

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

never had trouble with SS but I think beer and wine are corroding my liver 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
        Participant
          quote BillW:

“What, exactly, causes galling of stainless threads?”

According to Wiki, it’s all about the crystals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

wiscoboater
          Participant

Stainless fasteners are what the major aluminum boat manufactures use. If it’s good enough for Lund and Starcraft, it should work fine on your boat as well.

mr-asa
            Participant
              quote BillW:

Not to completely re-direct the thread; but I had been thinking of posting the question, “What, exactly, causes galling of stainless threads?” I KNOW the result all too well; and I KNOW how to AVOID it. What I want to know WHY it happens. (Please don’t tell me because there is no grease; I get that already.) It seems to basically weld itself, with virtually no heat, to speak of. How in tarnation is that possible?

Here’s a NASA paper about it (and a couple other fastener oriented things)
              http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi. … 009424.pdf

billw
              Participant

US Member

Yikes, there is information-overload in the NASA paper (as a lowly knuckle dragger like myself would have expected)….and I didn’t see a word about galling, other than a certain bolt treatment during manufacture helps reduce it.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.