Home Forum Ask A Member Took a walk on the"Dark Side"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant

Today I picked up a one owner Mercury 110, Serial #1788621, which I think may be a 1965. Looking for any weak areas I should be aware of. Motor is in nice shape, all there, original prop and paint, and even the original fuel tank.

Thanks for any suggestions.

jasonh
      Participant

1965. Gold letters? I just got a 65 going.

Great motors… lots of power and light weight. Run really nice.

It’ll need basics for sure: impeller, fuel pump diaphragm, condensors…etc

Weak points would be:
        carbon steel driveshaft and prop shaft. Seal surfaces can get pitted/rusted making it hard to seal. Fixes are speedi-sleeves and/or welding SS ring and having machined to spec.

If has been left with water in LU they can freeze and usually crack or bust out bearing carrier and retaining nut.

Check valves in fuel pump tend to get gummy. I clean mine with syringe and laquer thinner. New ones are long nla and expensive when found.

20mercman
        Participant

US Member

As Jason said, these are fantastic little motors. We just completed the "every bolt" restoration of our 1963, (last year of the cloud white motors). We completed our 1962 a few months ago (first of this style). The issues he mentions are spot on. One thing to remember is that these have marginal fuel pumps in even the best situations. Good diaphragm and check the sealing of the check valves is a must. If you are trying to run it in a drum, and have the fuel tank sitting on the floor, this can even sometimes cause problems as the fuel has to be lifted from floor level to the power head. Reinstalling the lower unit can sometimes be a challenge getting the shift shaft to line up. (especially 1966- 68 built motors) If you have to do this without having an extra set of hands, it can sometimes be easier to turn the motor upside down to help not only see what you are doing, but have gravity work for you. Condensers can be hard to find, and I have some that I still use the old condensers in them. Clean points are a must as well as a good ground on the magneto. The wires to the kill switch tend to loose their insulation and can cause a grounded circuit on the points. Either replace the wires or tape them up to verify that the kill circuit is working like it should.

I carried one of our 1968 110’s down the basement from the garage a few days ago. This one will be next in line for restoration.

Steve

outboard315
          Participant

Not sure if this motor like the 3.9 has the expensive tank side fuel connector.

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member

fuel ump can be changed to latter larger one.

20mercman
              Participant

US Member
                quote Outboard315:

Not sure if this motor like the 3.9 has the expensive tank side fuel connector.

Yes, it should have the small style fuel connectors. They are around, and not much more than an OMC pressure fitting.

Steve

archangel
                Participant

There is an expensive motor-side fuel connector that was an oddball size only used by 3.9 to 9.8 hp between early ’60s and early ’70s.

I inherited a little bit newer 110 — 1970 — that my grandfather bought the year I was born and used very sparingly and babied while stored. Technically my first classic outboard, I suppose. Lots of sentimental value in that one. It pushed a 14 ft aluminum boat great. It was considerably faster with the same load than a 1991 Johnson 9.9 that I also used on that boat. Because it has so few hours on it, I have no idea what it’s weakest aspects are, though. Writing that makes me realise that I need to pull that one out of storage for a spin on the lake again.

dave-bernard
                  Participant

US Member

I think I have a NOS small tank end if needed

1946zephyr
                    Participant

The 60’s Mercs are the best Mercs built. When the Key cougher logo went away, thats when they went down hill. The Merc 500 of that year is my favorite Merc

david-bartlett
                      Participant

I have the original hose and fuel connector, so no issues there. I just need some time to get it on the stand and check the basics. Ignition, compression, lower unit oil, etc.

I owned a later model 9.8 several years ago, probably a 69 or 70 vintage motor. It ran really well, but I decided I didn’t need it anymore and sold it. My son never forgave me, so maybe I can make amends here!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.