Home Forum Ask A Member Well, the Fastwin is "running"

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

It is a pretty simple job really. You may end up needing a new base gasket as well if it tears up when you pop off the pwerhead.

Yes, seals very easy to get. If you get stuck PM me. I stock a lot of them usually!

richardg
      Participant

US Member

Regarding it running hot- Mine had a filthy triangular baffle Screen in the water discharge that prevented the water from discharging properly. I slid it out (and left it out) and now it seems to run cool.

mr-asa
        Participant

Found the part numbers, 0321467 from OMC, or 18-2060 from Sierra, about a $5 difference per seal.

When I was able to get it running it stayed cool. I disassembled everything and blew out the tower and powerhead, and took apart the waterpump and re-checked everything. Nothing I could tell came out when I blew everything out with an air hose, pump impeller still looked good. I dunno, what was causing the heat issue, but it seems to be gone now.

chris-p
          Participant

Sorry thought I posted the part number!

See my thread about crank seals. There are a few that will work.

mr-asa
            Participant

Well… I took the powerhead off and changed the seals. Now she doesn’t run.

I didn’t disassemble any of the ignition plate. Just pulled the seals and re-installed ’em. When I pulled the plate off I cleaned the mounting ring of old grease and applied some new grease.
              Anyone think of anything weird I might’ve done? About the only thing I can think of is that the grease might be acting as an insulator between the mount and the ignition ring, preventing a good electrical circuit.

chris-p
              Participant

Does it have spark? Start there.

You may have gotten dirt/grease on the points. Even fingerprints limit spark.

Whenever you pull a mag plate, take the time to first dress and clean the points, then re set them. Before re installing the flywheel.

I also test spark, before I torque down the flywheel. We have all been there.

Just a thin smear of grease under there as well!

seakaye12
                Participant

US Member

Which one of the three elements are missing? Spark Fuel or Compression. You have to just start from the beginning and test.

BTW…..got your spark plug leads on the correct plug? Been there and done that. Boy was my "pulling arm" sore that day 🙂

mr-asa
                  Participant

I need to get a spark tester. It’s acting like it’s got at least a partial spark (you know how you can tell that it sort of wants to turn over mid-pull?) I’ll check the points again, but I didn’t remove the plug wires from the plugs. I didn’t actually remove anything but those 4 screws that hold it to the the hold-down ring and the linkage on the throttle arm.

I can’t see how the fuel and compression would change.

chris-p
                    Participant

yeah Im willing to bet you have no spark. They will need cleaning, and re set.

Steve A W
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

ASA
                        Make sure You didn’t knock the points out of alignment when you put
                        the plate over the point cam.
                        Good Luck.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
                        I live in Northwest Indiana

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.