Home Forum Ask A Member Will it fit?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

Hi Guys,
      I have a 59 18hp evinrude fastwin. I also have a 61 with a bad powerhead. I like the looks of the 61 much better for the wood boat it will be powering. Any issues swapping the 59 powerhead onto the 61? Seems like it should all bolt right up but what about drive shaft, exhaust output and what have you? Is it all the same under a different hood?

bbstacker1
      Participant

US Member

I think you are good to go, can’t think of anything right off that would prevent the swap.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

The powerhead-to-exhaust housing mounting pattern was changed at around that time.

Steve A W
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Check the part numbers for the base gaskets and see if they’re the same.
            Good Luck.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
            I live in Northwest Indiana

legendre
            Participant
              quote Steve A W:

Check the part numbers for the base gaskets and see if they’re the same.
              Good Luck.

Steve A W

Someone’s thinking.. 😎

wiscoboater
              Participant

Problem is when I go to marinengin.com and punch in a 59 Evinrude 18 nothing comes up. It’s like the 59 manual has been wiped from their site. Anyone know the part # for the 59 Evinrude base gasket. Model # 15028?

chris-p
                Participant

The 306199 base gasket was used in the 15020 to 15029 models and the 15922 to 15927 models. There are actually 2 of them, sandwiched around the 306210 baffle.

Same setup was used on your ’61 so good there.

Now, I have seen the baffle removed on some, and a thicker gasket installed in its place, instead of the 2 thinner ones and baffle. Just to note.

Also, the 303860 drive shaft, and 303917 water tube, and 303098 shift rod were also all the same on these models, and on your ’61.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

306199 replaced by 314421

wiscoboater
                    Participant

Thanks guys. The 61 hood is a bit more streamlined and flows with the lines of the boat better. The 59 hood just looks like an old mail box. 😆

Mumbles
                      Participant

Here’s a rebuilt ’72 Evinrude powerhead hooked up to a ’65 Johnson tower. Straight swap, no problems.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.