Home Forum Ask A Member 1.25 hp elgin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Doug Wilson
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

does the 1.25 hp elgin have a water pump to cool the lower section and does anyone know where i can get a parts list for it ?
      from the model number appears to be 1946
      thanks
      Doug

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
      turned off?

david-bartlett
      Participant

Check out Art S.’s website "Oddjob Motors". Lots of good info there on the Elgin’s and others.

http://www.oddjobmotors.com/elgin.htm

lotec
        Participant

Will save you the trouble of visiting my website, the 1946-51 Elgin 1.25hp motors do not have a water pump. The exhaust goes into the leg below the lower bearing so, in theory, it doesn’t get too hot.

Doug Wilson
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

thanks for the information it came with a couple of other motors I picked up owners father had kept it in a pillow case for a long time few small scratches but other than that nearly perfect condition going to try and get it running this week

Doug

turned off?

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

One of the best running engines ever built in my opinion. In addition to normal fuel and ignition service, make sure that the exhaust relief holes in the leg are not even partially clogged with carbon. Those holes make a big difference in run quality and power on those engines.

Long live American manufacturing!

jim-moffatt
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Check out the Elgin website elginoutboards.org
                parts list is available from Art DeKalb listed on that site.

auldscott
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sweet little motor, that. I run mine at 10:1 using synthetic blend oil. (I keep the blend for my Seagulls.) You will probably hear that you should use air-cooled motor oil; I don’t, but I think it is a good idea. My use of 10:1 conventional outboard oil gives me peace of mind.

phil-b
                  Participant
                    quote auldscott:

Sweet little motor, that. I run mine at 10:1 using synthetic blend oil. (I keep the blend for my Seagulls.) You will probably hear that you should use air-cooled motor oil; I don’t, but I think it is a good idea. My use of 10:1 conventional outboard oil gives me peace of mind.

Isn’t oil for air cooled motors formulated to deal with higher heats? (couldn’t be lower, could it?)

kerry
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have used Pennzoil full synthetic outboard oil for many years in my weedwacker, Lawn Boy mower, leaf blower, snowblower, etc. (and outboards). No issues, carboned ports,or any other signs of poor oiling. Smokes less, too.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

Doug Wilson
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the help. Down loaded the manual, Did not have an extra set of hands so raised fly wheel with wooden door shims using nuts and bolts like have seen Tubs mention before and gave it a decent smack flywheel came right off. Cleaned and adjusted the points and put back together has great spark now. Shot some gas in carb using old oil can fired on the first pull. Now to clean the carb tomorrow night and should be ready to test run.

Doug

turned off?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.