Home Forum Ask A Member 10 hp QD differences

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    reivertom
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Hey! Watch it with the “Hillbilly” stuff……..not all of us are idiots you know! :^) I think they should have stopped with improvements at the ’55 models. They are pretty tough motors, and I love the green. I know the later models were a bit faster, but I like the heavier gear cases.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by reivertom.
      chris-p
      Participant

I am going to have to google Hillbilly to make sure I didn’t use a derogatory word here!! lol

Simply meant the Owner that would try to run it on 50:1 is a donkey…..better? 🙂

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Until this year I have had only one issue with finding 10hps with bad wristpins. This year I bought one with known bad wristpins, and ended up with a few more that were more worn than I really care for. Gong against what is typically seen in the OMC 10hps, I got a 1957 Evinrude Sportwin this year still with the original cracked coils in it with quite a bit of wristpin slop. The motor isn’t that good cosmetically either. When I opened the magneto I was pleased to find original coils, then I checked the wristpins and was rather disappointed when I found them to be pretty sloppy. Probably between 1/16″ and 3/32″ of piston movement on the clunk test. It’s OK though, the motor is still worth what I gave for it in good parts.
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

reivertom
          Participant

I am going to have to google Hillbilly to make sure I didn’t use a derogatory word here!! lol

Simply meant the Owner that would try to run it on 50:1 is a donkey…..better?

I prefer “Bubba” or “redneck”, because every section of the continent has both of these! I am a Hillbilly like some on here are Cajun, etc…. It has been used as a derogatory term, but I embrace my mountain heritage. Every place has the type you refer to…….if you don’t believe me, look around. If you don’t see any, it might be you! :^)

Anonymous

Here is something you may not know, the 1956 and older models 18 &10 hp lower gear cases used a shorter drive shaft bushing than the 1957 18&10 hp cases and the 1958 and up 18hp cases. That gave more support for the driveshaft and spread out the load forces and gave longer wear life for the bushing.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is something you may not know, the 1956 and older models 18 &10 hp lower gear cases used a shorter drive shaft bushing than the 1957 18&10 hp cases and the 1958 and up 18hp cases. That gave more support for the driveshaft and spread out the load forces and gave longer wear life for the bushing.

So right, did not know that….But, am guessing that there is no difference in the driveshafts or other parts, and that the newer gear housings would be a direct replacement (older 55-56 part numbers would supercede to newer gear housings) for earlier housings.

frankr
                Participant

The real difference with the ’58-up is the drive shaft runs in the bushing above the pinion. Pre-’58 models, the pinion had an extended neck that runs in the bushing. That means the older ones had a much larger bearing surface. But the ’58 is fine as long as not abused.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The real difference with the ’58-up is the drive shaft runs in the bushing above the pinion. Pre-’58 models, the pinion had an extended neck that runs in the bushing. That means the older ones had a much larger bearing surface. But the ’58 is fine as long as not abused.

Ah yes…The larger diameter of the pinion surely helps with durability, didn’t consider that…

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The 5-bolt case with the pinion running in the bushing instead of the drive shaft also puts the bearing support in both axial and lateral directions right at the load. The pinion in the 4-bolt case is it supported by a thrust bearing at the load. The drive shaft bushing is separated from the load slightly by the mechanical joint (keyed or splined shaft connection) which also wears once the bushing starts to wear. The fact that the drive shaft provides all the lateral support in the 4-bolt gearcase is the reason for the ridiculously oversize drive shaft diameter in the 58 – 63 10hp. That is why the 10hp has a larger diameter drive shaft than the 18s.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.