Home Forum Ask A Member 12ft aluma craft transom

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    cwalker
    Participant

I have a 12ft aluma craft boat, that has seen a rough life, it sat for 6yrs. with water in it. I need to replace the old transom wood. It had a 2×6 pine on the inside, and the outside was about 3/8s of an inch thick. I need some thoughts of what to use and how thick it should be, I just want to use it once in a while so I don’t need anything special. Thanks. CSW

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

5/4 hardwood inside, white oak is typically recommended. I just did my FD with hickory since that was all my local hardwood guy had in stock when I needed it. 3/8" Marine plywood on the outside. CDA plywood works also.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

looks great

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Dave. It took me some time to get it right with the Aqueduct.
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member

I just did a duratech S13 . I used card board as a patter. used 3/4 inside and out.

Dan Smith
              Participant

Original wood on he inside is 1 1/32" quarter sewn white oak with cork backing. Outside plywood is also backed with cork.

I have all the details on my pc. Send me a note and I’ll look up the details.

amuller
                Participant

I’m not sure how useful the cork backing actually is. Opinions?

jerry-ahrens
                  Participant

The cork backing serves two purposes, one is that it serves as a vibration dampener, and the second is for sealing. If you do it like it came from the factory, you won’t need any sealer anywhere. The cork acts as a gasket and seals around all the bolts. I used craft cork on my boats, and glued it to the boards before installation with aerosol glue. Headliner glue from Oreilly’s, etc.

2fast4me
                    Participant

Good information,
                      My FD and ALUMA Line will get the same treatment soon.
                      Nice job.
                      Jim

2Fast4Me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.