Home Forum Ask A Member 12hp scott mc. lowerunit qustoons

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cwalker
    Participant

Hello all, I trying to reassemble the lowerunit on my 12hp scott mac, I mixed up the forwaed gear and reverse gear. I have a 14hp parts book and it lists different numbers for the gears. I cleaned off the gears and got out the trusty magnifying glass and could not find any numbers. Is there any other way to find out which is witch? Thanks.

Mumbles
      Participant

The ramps on them face different ways. In this photo the top and middle gear have a ‘T’ for top stamped on them while the lower gear, or reverse gear has an ‘R’ stamped on. If your gears aren’t marked, install them like in the photo and you should be OK.

Attachments:

cwalker
        Participant

Thanks very much!

cwalker
          Participant

Thanks to mumbles, I found out the top and bottom gear, but when I disassembled the lowerunit, the driveshaft retainers were not in there, I ordered some. I see the groove in the shaft, but I’m not sure what holds them in place? Any help would be great! Thanks

Mumbles
            Participant

The split retainers, #19, fit inside the thrust washers and needle bearing which are above them in the diagram. A bit of grease will help to hold everything in place while assembling these.

Attachments:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.