15 horse Evinrude 55

Home Forum Ask A Member 15 horse Evinrude 55

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Tinman

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 355
    Topics: 77

Just got done with a full tune up of a 55 15hp evinrude. VERY hard to rope over. Don’t remember my other 15’s being that hard. It has 109 on each cylinder. It’s so tight that when you let the tension off the rope to relax it back into the starter the flywheel turns counter clockwise about a 1/8-1/4 turn. Starter is fine. Ropes over fine with no plugs. Missing something, or just me worrying over nothing? Plan on firing it up in the morning before work. Thanks.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

So, you are saying the engine is kind of “kicking back” when you crank it over with plugs in and connected? Or, does it do this with plugs in but not connected to the coils?

Tinman

Either way. When plugs are in its hard to rope over. Keep in mind I have not run this motor. Seems like it has the compression of a 25 hp lol

David Bartlett

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 571
    Topics: 24

I believe these have the early style starter with the ratchet. They do not have the same mechanical advantage of the later style, so will pull harder.

David Bartlett
    Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years

How is the gearcase? Did you have it off, have you changed the gear lube, or had the gearcase apart? I realize you mentioned that it roped over easy with no plugs, but just a thought. Did you just get this engine? If not, how did it rope over prior to the tune up?
    Like David says, this engine has the old style starter, so it will not be as easy to crank as later models.

Tinman

Gear case completely apart. All new seals. Everything in great shape. I just think it’s the older style starter. Not as smooth or as easy as the models a few years later. Started the motor up tonight for the first time in probaly a long time and it ran like a champ. Need to get it on a boat to finish dialing it in. It idles down looow!! Thought I had a 5.5 in the Barrel lol! It doesn’t really matter that it’s a little harder to rope over since it starts on the first pull every time! I like it when a plan comes together!! Thanks everyone I think all is well.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years

Cool, get it out on the water and enjoy it now…

mercuryman

Replies: 467
    Topics: 167

I think it has to do with starter design. Look at starter on later models they have elliptical rope sheave.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.