Home Forum Ask A Member 15012 Fastwin Steering

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

On the early Fastwins, where is the tension adjustment for the steering? Sorry not at home, and a friend called asking how to tighten it up, as it bounces around quite a bit. I believe this is before the standard screw in the front under the grab handle, as the later Johnsons had. Been a year or so since Ive done one and cannot seem to remember.

thanks.

Steve D
      Participant

I’m not too familiar with those but this is from a 50’s Sea-King 12 HP, 4 bolt housing, and I think it was the same as that model Fastwin, and this might be the adjustment.

upload img

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

That is correct – 😀

Garry in Tampa

1946zephyr
          Participant

#41 is the one.

chris-p
            Participant

Yup I ended up going over there as I have trouble helping over the phone sometimes. I find this system doesn’t seem to tighten the steering as much as the newer style? I may need to take his apart and rebuild it for him. Even with the #41 tight as it will go, the steering shakes around too much for my liking.

Thanks guys.

ray-schaber
              Participant

I replaced the #53 sleeve on a Evinrude with a peice of a 1 gal. plastic oil container. Just cut it to the size you need and install. Works great and oil wont hurt it.
                Ray

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.