Home Forum Ask A Member 18 hp baffle under the powerhead

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    larkbill
    Participant

I’m doing some parts swapping between a ’60 and ’69, Evinrude 18s, and notice the later motor didn’t have the metal baffle sandwiched between two powerhead lower gaskets. Any disadvantage to using the baffle, or not using it? Using the ’60 18 hp and mounting the ’69 powerhead.

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by larkbill.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member

The baffle was an attempt to keep the harsh environment of hot water and exhaust away from the lower seal area. It didn’t do too good a job of it, but better than nothing, I suppose. At some time in history, the mid-section exhaust housing was changed, making the baffle unnecessary, That is why no baffle in your ’69. Since you are using the old ’60 exhaust housing, I suggest continuing to use the baffle.

larkbill
        Participant

Thanks Frank. I was hoping you would see this.

I thought that was what I remembered but was trying to make sure I didn’t cause a problem with the newer more powerful powerhead. I didn’t realize the unit below was changed. I may dig a little deeper in my swapping. It’s not like I have so much else to do.

larkbill
          Participant

Oh wow. just looked at my ’69 exhaust housing and I see what you mean about redesign. Also has a totally different exhaust tuner too. I’m thinking I should use that if I want my 25 hp powerhead to perform as it should. Darn. I was hoping to preserve the patina of my ’60, the later housing is also shaped a little different. Oh well, life is about compromises.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.