Home Forum Ask A Member 1915 Evinrude Row Boat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bill Roth
    Participant

US Member

I just purchased a 1915 Row Boat at Tomahawk. Just started to disassemble it and I have a couple of Questions: 1. I finally got the flywheel nut off, but I can’t remove the flywheel, I am trying pressure with the puller, applied heat, than froze and every penetrant spray know to man. Am I missing something mechanical (pin or keyed) that is holding it from coming off? 2. Prop removal, removed the 2 nuts and the prop moved out only 1/8″. I tried slightly prying both sides at the same time, but nothing. There is that round collar the was behind the 2 nuts is that securing the prop? Puzzled again. ANY IDEAS NO MATER HOW WILD OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED. Bill, MN

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Bill Roth.
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Bill Roth.
      The Boat House
      Participant

https://www.enginads.com/otto/

The Boat House
        Participant

Bill Roth
          Participant

US Member

Tubs,

I didn’t realize that there is a collar covering the shear pin. I will attempt to slowly pry the collar off the end of shaft this weekend.

As for the fly wheel I cleaned around the threads of the drive shaft, at the flywheel, and could now see the key way. The closer I looked it looks the thread, the length through the thicknees of the flywheel, on the shaft had sheared or slightly twisted so the key way is no longer straight:( The key seem to be below the sheared or twisted shafts key way. I am thinking the key is below the flywheels key way, but not sure. I am afraid what I am looking at to remove the flywheel on my Evinrude 1915 if ever.

Sincerely thanking you for responding, Bill in MN

Bill Roth
            Participant

US Member

Thanks again! I have been able to fraction of an inch slowly been able to move the collar up, still soaking it, not off yet, still not yet put will be working it later

Bill Roth
              Participant

US Member

Thanks again! I have been able to fraction of an inch slowly been able to move the collar up, still soaking it, not off yet, still not yet put will be working it later

Bill Roth
                Participant

US Member

I am very sorry with my response being so late to your photos and video. They were very helpful and accomplished with both the brass collar removal from the prop and getting the flywheels off. Since then I have restored two Evinrude Rowboat motors, a 1915 and 1914.

Just finished my third 100% complete Mae Wests and now I plan on tackling a very complete 1916 Motogo Rowboat in the next few weeks. I’ll probably be looking for help again!
                  Its been a great hobby and a great bunch of guys I have met and I will include you to that list.
                  Thanks very much, Bill in MN

P.S. Do you go to Tomahawk, WI or Constantine MI meets?

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

I hope you post photos of your Motogo restoration. Sounds like fun!
                    That 1915 Evinrude is awesome!

Prepare to be boarded!

green-thumbs
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

For a flywheel stuck to crankshaft that resists being removed by all other
                      techniques a can’t hurt, might help very old school suggestion…
                      HEAT junction of flywheel hub and crankshaft until it is warm enough
                      to melt wax…then touch a candle (i used a birthday cake candle I found
                      in kitchen junk drawer), The warm wax becomes a liquid that will be drawn into
                      the joint by capillary action and if you are lucky the flywheel grip on
                      crankshaft is relaxed and flywheel can be removed.
                      I used this on a KF7 Mercury that had resisted all the usual methods
                      It worked so fast that I did not even have time or need to attach flywheel puller.
                      This method has been around a while, I was told it is steam engine and
                      hit an miss engine era method.
                      Anyway, can’t hurt, might help and the price is right,
                      Louis

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by green-thumbs.
                      JOHN HOLBIK
                      Participant

My uncle Joe taught me the wax trick many years ago.It works well on exhaust manifold nuts and studs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.