Home Forum Ask A Member 1928 Johnson "race" motor

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

Boy that might just be a TR 40. Im on my little phone so hard to verify but sure looks right. Ive been looking for years for one as well to add to my Johnson collection!

Anonymous

I’ll let everyone know what I find out as soon as info arrives. It will be the luck of those interested in a TR40 that if that is what it is, it’s located in the armpit of American AKA Iowa. I always have that problem, the motors I want are tooooo far away.
        Kirk

david-bartlett
        Participant

To me it looks like a PR-40. Exhaust is bigger on the TR.

Regardless it looks nice.

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Not even close to a Giant Twin…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
            classicomctools@gmail.com

squierka39
            Participant

US Member

It’s defiantly not a TR40, it’s way too small and I’m still betting it’s not an R model with that standard motor 3 blade prop. Although it could have been swapped for non race use. Visually the race motors from ‘28 do look just like a stock motor. Can’t wait to see what you get.
              Ok, I’m revising my prop statement. Just did a google search and found pictures of another kr40 and it has the same 3 blade prop.

lyks2tinkr
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Interesting thread, I can’t wait for more pictures

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

How about this – K40 ? ? ? 😕

Mumbles
                  Participant

I though any Johnson with an ‘R’ in the model number meant it was for racing.

Anonymous

Finally stared at the pic that Richard posted and can see some differences with the TR-40.

quote Mumbles:

I though any Johnson with an ‘R’ in the model number meant it was for racing.

Interested to see the answer to this. The owner is adamant that he has a "racer". I haven’t talked to him directly but hope to and maybe I’ll find out what he’s basing this on.

jerry-ahrens
                      Participant

US Member

The KR, PR and TR were in fact, factory racing motors. The KR and TR are rare and hard to find. I’ve always dreamed of finding a TR40 myself, since I love the Big iron Johnson motors.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 49 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.