Home Forum Ask A Member 1928 Johnson "race" motor

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Well, talked to my friend and got the number of his friend. Hopefully I’ll be able to get in touch with the owner and go check it out for compression, condition, etc. Not too sure how interested I am in this motor unless the price was really good whatever that means. Everything I keep hearing though is that it’s a RACE motor so he might value it pretty highly. I’m more interested in just seeing what it is and it’s condition and maybe talk to the owner about any other motors he has, etc. Turns out he used to own a marina so he may have something of interest.

The saga continues. No matter this has been an interesting thread and I’ve learned quite a bit.

Kirk

Anonymous

Well, finally was able to talk to my friends friend about the motor with the hope I could get in touch with the owner. Doesn’t look like it’s going to happen as he is a "private" individual. No additional pictures but I was told that "it’s in great shape" and that the owner was able to run it by cobbling together a coil pack. The only thing he has done to it is to polish it up. Oh yeah, they found one on the internet that sold for right at $800 but no indication of condition, etc. Guess I’ll have to wait until the swap meet on the 28th to get a look at it. Apparently the owner also has a couple of other motors (unknown make/year) and some manuals he will be bringing with him. We’ll see what happens but I have the feeling that he’s going to want a hefty price for it. Not knowing what’s reasonable and it may be worth it to some but probably no to me.

Of interest is that there is currently one on ebay that is at $289 with 24 bids. For some reason though the listing comes up in spanish.

Kirk

chris-p
        Participant

Any "R" Johnson Race motor will hold its value.

Not going to pick one up for a hundred bucks that’s for sure! I guess it could happen, but not generally speaking anyways.

Anonymous

Chris, I’m sure you’re right about them holding their value. I however don’t want one that bad. I have enough other motors to work on.
            Kirk

Anonymous

Where is the swap meet on the 28th of what month?

wbeaton
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                quote kirkp:

Chris, I’m sure you’re right about them holding their value. I however don’t want one that bad. I have enough other motors to work on.
                Kirk

If you decide to pass please pass the lead along. I’m sure many members would like to have it.

Wayne
                Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Anonymous

Definitely! It’s actually a swap meet put on by a local bass club. There will be a variety of fishing and hunting items from what I’ve been told. Haven’t been to it before and in fact it’s only the second one. It’s being held the 28th of this month in Bellevue Nebraska. I have a flyer I can send to anyone who might be interested.
                  Kirk

Anonymous

Update: just found out that the flyer I was sent is wrong. It’s actually on the 27th
                    Sorry about the confusion.
                    Kirk

squierka39
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Whether you buy it or not, please take some pictures of it and let us see what it turns out to be. It’s always fun to see another rare old motor.

george-emmanuel
                      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Here’s my PR-40 on my Swift. In the late 20’s the Johnson’s all looked alike. I"ve customized my steering bar to use on this boat.

George

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 49 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.