Home Forum Ask A Member 1929 Model U Speeditwin Info

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    gearhead4
    Participant

My latest acquisition is a pretty nice Model U Speeditwin from 1929 that’s in really nice barn find condition. Checked it out and it’s got the usual carb parts that need replacing due to deterioration and all was good till I took the "U" tube manifold off to find that the left piston has a hairline crack in it.

Does anyone know if this can be baked to burn off all oil and gas then welded? I’m not sure if anyone’s tried that but the thought crossed my mind as I’m no stranger to aluminum welding.

The biggest question I have about the engine is the tiller handle setup. I have the handle but it looks like it has a Model A Johnson grip on it and it’s supposed to be a twist grip with cable connected to the carb.

Would really like to see some detailed photos or info of this motor from anyone who’s done one over or knows how that tiller handle is setup.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated as always, thanks!

PM or email b16hydro@yahoo.com

george-emmanuel
      Participant

US Member

I’ll try to get some pictures of mine and send them to you. The twist grip I think was an option as both my 29’s had the standard steering handle when I got them. I bought the twist grip years ago and added it to my U.

George

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

A couple ads from 1928 …

george-emmanuel
          Participant

US Member

The steering handle as seen in Garry’s posting is the stock handle.

George

gearhead4
            Participant

Jeez didn’t realize how much time has gone by since the post I made. Job hunting occupies my time all day lately with this motor on the side for a break from it.

Took down the entire engine and have found that everything is in really good shape overall with a couple small items needed. It did have a weld on the lower cylinder buried under the years of dirt that I cleaned off. Here’s another question though, the pistons I pulled out have 2 rings at the top like a newer engine would while the ad Gary has posted has the 3 ring pistons which I do have from a 156 Speeditwin project. Does this matter or are the 2 ring pistons okay? I have both after doing some digging in the stash and believe they’ll all work but haven’t checked the dimensions.

Now to my latest question/dilemma, how in the world does the lower unit come apart??? I have the lower cover off and the nose but cannot figure out how anything comes out of there. The forward bearing has no way of pulling it out after removing the large castle nut and the nut on the back side of the drive gear has no access to get at it with any sort of wrench. It’s in great shape but the bearings are making a little noise and I do not want to run it without replacing them.

I’m working on getting some photos uploaded so you can all see the engine since I’ve torn it down and what I’m looking at with the lower unit. For once I managed to pick up an Evinrude with a lower unit that’s near mint internally! Will update photos shortly.

gearhead4
              Participant

Here’s a couple photos of the engine when I got it and what the piston ended up having a problem with. Appears that the piston was hit with something as it has a "Depression" where the crack originated. There is also a lower unit photo showing what I’m looking at. Didn’t want to damage anything because I didn’t know how to take her apart.

gearhead4
                Participant

Quick update, figured out how to get the lower unit apart! A couple tries looking at it and walking away to another project and I figured it out. Came out very clean after cleaning out the whole unit and very pleased with it. Gears are mint for 80+ years old and now just need to get new bearings. They all are being replaced. Will add a couple photos later.

Thanks again for all posts/help with info.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.