Home Forum Ask A Member 1936 Evinrude 4178 carburetor issues. A little help needed…

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK…so I found what I believe is the check valve at the bottom of the bowl. See pictures. I Let it soak in lacquer thinner for awhile, and blew it out. I then put the carb back together and attempted to run the motor. I have attached a youtube link so you can see it running. As long as I pump the primer, I can keep the motor running. As soon as I stop pumping, the motor quits. Notice when I pump, the fuel gushing out the top of the primer.

BTW, adjusting the needle did nothing.

Thoughts???
      https://youtu.be/tO4TjNhne5U

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by huntleybill.
      The Boat House
      Participant

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m not sure it was exactly that o-ring. I will order those and see if it makes any difference..
          I can see how that might help with the fuel gushing out the top but how would it help the motor run better?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by huntleybill.
          huntleybill
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK…with the help of a 3D printer, I made that O-ring and installed it. I have a lot less gushing out the top but the motor still will not run without drastically choking it. I went through the carb again and find nothing clogged but not ever working with this type of carb before, I don’t know if I got everything either.

Any other thoughts?

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Only thought I have is that there’s about 20 members wishing that carb was
              on their work bench so they could look it over! I’ll be curious to know what
              turns out to be the problem!
              Evidently there’s no parts diagram that exists for the model?

Prepare to be boarded!

huntleybill
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Bring them over…we can all look at it together!

The Boat House
                Participant

huntleybill
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for sticking with me Mr. Tubs. I did blow air through the mixture screw and it does blow through the float bowl and the main jet. I also sprayed carb cleaner through the same way to make sure it is clean, then blew air through again. This is why I am confused. I believe I have all the ports clean but it still acts like something is clogged. ?????

Unless there is a port I am not aware of, I thought I had everything clean.
                    Maybe it is no longer a carb issue. Maybe the o-ring fixed the carb problem and it is now something else? But I have no idea what that other problem could be! It could be that I’m an idiot too!!! Naaaaaa… that can’t be! 🙂

The Boat House
                    Participant

huntleybill
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

oh well…. I would hate to scrap this motor but if it won’t run, what good is it!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.