Home Forum Ask A Member 1936 Evinrude Handitwin, 1458

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    7tcu
    Participant

New motor to me. The lower unit was leaking so I tore into it and found the leak is around the shaft. After inspecting the stuffing box I found that there must have been some kind of packing in there to make it seal. What ever it was it all fell apart. I am thinking I can just put a ring of packing in the stuffing box but there is only room for one ring of 1/8″ packing. And when I cut the packing there will be that cut that might leak since I can only use one ring. I don’t think an “O” ring will work with the shaft turning, so any Ideas of what I could use to seal the shaft.

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

The two tapered cork rings used in those days were never much good. Held in by an aluminum split ring they could only take so much pressure, then push the aluminum ring back. The work around was to find a small Chicago Rawhide seal that would fit the shaft and bore out the housing cap to fit it.
        Garry in Tampa

7tcu
        Participant

Another question, the gasket I removed on the lower unit prop shaft had a gasket that was about .027″, I don’t have an gasket material anywhere close to that thickness, so how much am I going to change the gear mesh contact buying a different thickness of a gasket. This may run slow enough not to worry about it but I wonder.

The Boat House
          Participant

7tcu
            Participant

Thanks, but I will find some, there are plenty of Refinery’s. Chemical Plants and Machine Shops around her to get some. I was just wondering how far you can engage these gears without damange to them.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

The lash is governed by the front thrust bearing in the forward part of the gear case.

Mumbles
                Participant

Sulphite paper makes good gaskets and it comes in variable thicknesses. It is hard and shiny and widely used for magazine covers and old Kodak photographs.. Brown paper bags and dull looking paper are generally made from kraft pulp and don’t make very good gaskets.

7tcu
                  Participant

Thanks gerry, as I got all the old grease and oil out I can see the spacer ie.”thrust bearing” that limits the travel on the gears, but looking at the gears this thing has a wear pattern almost .030″ deep in the gears. But I only bought this motor to play with anyway. As for gasket material Mumbles, I have easy access to plenty of Garlock gasket material, but not in the size of the previous gasket but the thickness in a mute question, thanks all. I will have more questions as I go thur this.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.