Home Forum Ask A Member 1936 Johnson Model 100 gearcase seal part# ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    second wind
    Participant

Anyone have a good aftermarket part number for the gearcase seal on a 36′ model 100 1.7hp? Kind of unusual; the brass outer O.D of the seal does not press fit inside the bore of the gearcase seal retainer housing; instead it presses OVER the O.D. of the seal retainer lip.
      I got this little gem a couple weeks ago; cleaned the tank and carb, cleaned, filed and set the points, installed a new spark plug, made some carb needle packing from cork gasket material and added a small “o” ring to the needle shaft for redundancy. I put her in my tank and she fired and ran on the second pull. I used a laser non contact thermometer to keep an eye on the cooling and all was good. Everything in the gearcase looks good just need a new seal and I will be pulling my grandson on his slalom ski in no time! 🙂

Many thanks!
      Neal

2fast4me
      Participant

Hope to see pictures of your son skiing soon. Sorry no comment about your seal question i haven’t been there yet.

2Fast4Me

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

I had one apart last year, but I neglected to take photos of that section.
          I have run across some strange seals as well.
          Could your seal be a two piece affair, and only half came out?
          I have used cork and packing material where all else fails
          in finding a replacement for these early ones.

Prepare to be boarded!

second wind
          Participant

It is a single lip seal. Brass with leather sealing surface. I am going to take it along with the shaft and the housing that it installs on to a bearing and seal shop tomorrow. If I locate one that fits I will post the brand and P/N# here.
            Many thanks
            Neal

second wind
            Participant

For anyone interested ; C/R (Chicago Rawhide) seal part # 4931 appears to work in this application. I installed and ran in tank today with no leakage issues (so far). I am going to use this for a kicker motor on my 60′ Mahogany Speedliner it is powered by a 56′ RD18 Johnson. I appreciate everyone’s input and plan to become a member soon.
              best regards,
              Neal

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Thanks for the part number, I added it to my notes.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.