1937 Bendix Eclipse SM

Home Forum Ask A Member 1937 Bendix Eclipse SM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• wbeaton

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1037
    Topics: 101

After several attempts this 1937 Bendix Eclipse SM is finally running. If anyone else is struggling with a Bendix with the Stromberg Fuel Lift Carburetor the high speed jet is set about 1/4 turn out from gently seated and make sure the exhaust relief holes in the midsection are not plugged. lol

2-1

IMG_0443

IMG_4271

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by wbeaton.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by wbeaton.

wbeaton

Canada Member - 2 Years

I even have this factory Bendix stand to go under it when I take it to meets. Next project is to build a crate of it.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by wbeaton.

The Boat House

Replies: 4550
    Topics: 111

Looks like a really nice example.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Did you say you went to a heavier fuel/oil mix and it ran better?

I’ve had mine running on 16:1 with TCW III but I’ve been thinking of trying a mix using some aviation oil I have on hand.

David Bartlett

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 571
    Topics: 24

Excellent Wayne,

The Bendix motors need a good sturdy crate to live in. Pretty fragile motors.

That stand is a real nice find.

David Bartlett
    Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

wbeaton

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the kind words. It was a surprising amount of troubleshooting required to get it running.

The original literature states to use 8:1 with 30W oil. I am currently using TCW-3, but I will use air cooled oil in the future. I have used both TCW and TCA oil during my several attempts to get it running. There was no difference in performance because I couldn’t get it to run for more than a minute or so. Now that it’s running 8:1 barely smokes even when cold.

I had a few things to fix before this motor would run reliably. Some were easier to diagnose than others.

1) fuel pick up was damaged and needed to be replaced. Since this carb sucks fuel up to the carb without a fuel pump the fuel pick up must be perfectly functioning.

2) bad condenser. Replaced with a new .22 mfd condenser. Surprisingly the (three) coils I have all test great, which is good because adapting new coils would be tricky.

3) initial carb settings. I had no idea what the settings should be and no one seemed to have the information. 1/4 turn high and 1/2 turn low will get you running. Adjustments are very fine. Factory manual wasn’t very helpful.

4) above water exhaust relief holes plugged. This was the biggest problem and the one thing I kept overlooking. It was the reason the motor would not run for more than a minute or so. And then in ever decreasing lengths of time until it wouldn’t run at all. Once I cleared the relief holes the motor would stay running. However, the carb settings immediately became much too lean and needed adjustment.

I’m looking forward to running it on my boat in the spring. The motor seems very strong for its horsepower. Of course there will be video when that happens.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by wbeaton.

djdev

Replies: 2
    Topics: 0

I have a motor and stand like this. Do you know the value or what to ask when selling this motor, stand and original instruction & service & parts manuals.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.