Home Forum Ask A Member 1937 Elto Handifour

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lyks2tinkr
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good morning all
      I have started work on my 1937 Elto Handifour.
      The original crankshaft is unusable due to heavy rust pitting of the rod journals.
      I have acquired through the generosity of another member a crankshaft from a 36 Lightfour Imperial which should work though there are some differences from the 36 to the 37.
      The rotary valve porting in the 37 is much bigger than the 36 and looks like it would flow better even though they are both rated at 9.2 hp.
      The included picture shows both cranks with the “original” 37 crank on the left.
      Also the grind on the crank for the points triggering is also different but the point opening appears to be in the same spot as the 37.
      Does anyone recognize the crankshaft on the left and what models it’s from?

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

The crankshaft on the right is from a 1939 Lightfoot and may require some tweaking of the crankcase opening to work well.The Midget Racing carburetor (which has a throttle valve) idles better and will give you 10 horse power.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

My spell checker doesn’t like Lightfour . . .

lyks2tinkr
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Gary.
            I did notice when I put the crank on the right in the crank case that the rotary valve opening didn’t look quite correct and would need modification.
            Do all the pre1939 lightfours and handifour have the same rotary valve as the crank on the left?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by lyks2tinkr.
            lyks2tinkr
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

According to the parts manual for the 37 Lightfour / Handifour the part number for the crank is 160195 and the rotary valve is 193137.
              Are they used in any other model year?
              Are they common to the 9.2hp 4 cylinders?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.