Home Forum Ask A Member 1937 Evinrude fisherman 4.4 hp spark issue

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Geer Pyron
    Participant

Yozers all!
      Been working on a ‘37 evinrude fisherman, model #4227.
      The coil was bad. Couldn’t easily find a replacement. So I did the coil swap-a-roo with two later style coils. Same heels with 1/16 modification to the lams that run through the coils, as well as removal of two. To get that center piece through. Nothing removed from heels. Little bit of a clearance issue, but not bad. Original condenser seems good.
      I get spark with the d-cell bench test. I don’t get spark, reliably anyway, when flywheel is installed and I pull it over.
      Okay, questions.
      1) Should the needle on my resistance tester move when one lead is connected to points, the other to ground when the points are open? No resistance. Or vice versa?
      2) Coil spacing? I’ll attach a picture. Does this look okay? Other than obvious clearance issue with coil with the blk spark plug lead?
      Thanks
      Geer

9443E9CF-2005-48CD-AAC3-FDFA5E0D4E62

JMGP

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Mumbles.
      Geer Pyron
      Participant

Okay,
        Something amiss.
        I get no resistance, the needle on my tester moves, when one lead connected to points the other to ground regardless of points open or closed.
        Hmmm
        G

JMGP

The Boat House
        Participant

Geer Pyron
          Participant

Gracias.
            I’ll give it a go.
            Still the resistance/continuity test though.
            G

JMGP

squierka39
            Participant

US Member

Also the condensers may not work with the new coils. I had a friend with same problem, he put in the proper condensers and it sparked right up.

Geer Pyron
              Participant

Okay.
                Thought about that issue so when I assembled it initially I used a condenser that belongs with the newer style coil. That’s when I had the problem.
                In my picture, and original post I had already put the older, original condenser back on.
                Same issue.
                I’ll try to get the condenser chart to make sure the older con. will work with newer coils.
                Thanks,
                G

JMGP

Mumbles
                Participant

It sounds like your points are dirty if your meters reading doesn’t change when the points are opened or closed. Also, make sure your meter is set to its lowest ohm reading possible.

Good spark with a battery but poor spark with a flywheel? That indicates everything is OK on the mag plate but what about the condition of the flywheel magnets? They might be getting weak and need recharging.

Geer Pyron
                  Participant

Update!
                    Issue solved!
                    Points were replaced.
                    A friend helped me out with another set. Battery test was good, but then again, bad spark with flywheel pullover. Clearance issue!
                    The black spark plug wire in photo was rubbing on the flywheel and so the electricity was going to the flywheel as opposed to the spark plug.
                    I modified that coil a little more and soldered the wire on. No more clearance issue.
                    All good.
                    With that anyway.
                    Still wouldn’t start!
                    Low compression, 70 and 80 psi.
                    Ahhhhh!
                    Stuck rings.
                    Ahhhhh!!!!
                    Broke one trying to unstick it!!!!!
                    Any one got a spare set laying around?
                    Thanks for input,
                    G

JMGP

The Boat House
                    Participant

Geer Pyron
                      Participant

Thank you Mr. Tubbs!
                        Called him up at four o’clock onSunday in the middle of a pandemic and lo (!) he answers and takes my order. He knew exactly what I needed. And inexpensive too. Or less than I was expecting to pay.
                        Why have a spent $60 on rings before?
                        He has sheets of head gasket material too!
                        Thanks again
                        G

JMGP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.