Home Forum Ask A Member 1937 Evinrude Fisherman, gearcase seals?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve taken apart a 37 fisherman with a brass (bronze?) lower unit. The gears in the foot look almost new….except where they’ve corroded. Were there other motors of this period that used the same gear/pinion/prop shaft? Looks to me like there was some sort of seal in the top of the gear foot but whatever was there is degraded beyond recognition. Must have been something at the prop shaft as well? I think it may have been some cork that fell apart as I removed the shaft.

The parts diagram I got from Gary’s dropbox files is one of those that lays them all out but doesn’t show what goes where. Anyone familiar with this motor?

IMG_5489-2

davidk
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

More photos

IMG_3816-2

IMG_4674

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by davidk.
        davidk
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

37_4.4HPpg004-1

benji41
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I think the fisherman is very similar to the sportsman and if so I have a exploded view of a 1938 sportsman.
            Jim Benjamin

Jim Benjamin

benji41
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I think the fisherman is very similar to the sportsman and if so I have an exploded view of a 1938 sportsman.
              Jim Benjamin

Jim Benjamin

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

The seals consisted of two interlocking cork rings. One was tapered to the inside and the other tapered to the outside, pushing them together put pressure on the shaft to make the seal. A sort of internal aluminum snap ring held them in place. Sometimes backed up by a few yards of mono-filiment fish line. They were never much good. The same grease that kept the cork from wareing kept the aluminum ring from staying in place. If there is enough material in the casting, bore it out for a Chicago Rawhide seal to fit the shaft.

davidk
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve been able to get at the seals on the drive shaft and prop shaft. Looks like cork, held in by a slotted washer that presses out against the wall of the cup to hold the cork in place. There seems to be room for a modern seal if I get a good measurement. I may try layers of cork gasket first.

Thanks to Gary’s description for giving me the courage to dig in there.

IMG_0258

IMG_0257

jeff-register
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

For me I would think along late seals. If you have a “State Seal co.” around your neck of the woods they go by size & can match a much better seal for you. They have single, double & stainless retaining spring seals & more. Great guys to deal with too. Nice motor!!
                    Garry is the man & so greatful to to read his knowledge!! Car 54 where are you Frank? : )

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by jeff-register.
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.