Home Forum Ask A Member 1937 Evinrude Fisherman, lever on faceplate?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve got most of the parts back where they belong on this motor. Even got it started last night at Lincoln Davis’ shop. I can’t figure out what the lever is on the bottom of the faceplate. Seems like it should hook onto something but I don’t see what? Anyone familiar with this motor? Model 4337

IMG_0294

IMG_0293

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Some of the old Evinrudes had a lever toward the bottom
        of the front cowl to prime the motor, by lifting the poppet
        valve off it’s seat.

Prepare to be boarded!

davidk
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Buc, the lever you are describing is there, under the handle, but hard to see in these photos. I’m wondering about the lever on the bottom of the cowl. Looks like it would grab something as you pull it forward, maybe to secure the cowl, but there are already two long screws that hold it in place. I wish I could remember how it was before I took it apart…….

Anonymous

Is it for locking the tiller, for use when roping to motor to start it?

davidk
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Is it for locking the tiller, for use when roping to motor to start it?

Good question. I can’t see how it would grab the tiller handle but I’ll look at it again with that in mind. Thanks!

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

It’s a sort of a bumper to keep it from shaking to violently while trolling. . .

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

Nice photo Garry, now I see the “primer” lever I was thinking of.
                  I have a “Handytwin”? with a similar cowl and primer set up,
                  but the cowl had been all busted up and re-welded…….
                  perhaps from too much idling!

Prepare to be boarded!

davidk
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s a sort of a bumper to keep it from shaking to violently while trolling. . .

Thanks, Gary, I was hoping you’d chime in. So it presses up against the tiller handle, metal to metal, and that doesn’t scare off the fish? I thought it would hook onto something somewhere. or that they had extra levers at the factory and they bolted these on just for more bling.

Anonymous

It stops the motor torque from turning the motor when roping over the motor when starting. The alternative is the motor turning and throwing you out of the boat and the boat turning to run you over after you fall overboard.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.