Home Forum Ask A Member 1937 Johnson #210 magnetos salvageable?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ray Ray
    Participant

Took the cover off and found some damage to the aluminum wheel where the coil and magnetos are located.

Need help in seeing if the coil, magnetos are salvageable? If not where I could replacements.

A72C782D-1DB8-42C3-9FC3-8995E9A15C72

BBCEDA3B-E9F7-49E8-8990-02A4A7EC1DB5

F322A38E-591D-4AF2-BF5E-2827969B086F

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Ray Ray.
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
      stanley
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Early Johnson coils are rarely bad.You can easily check it with a multi-meter.The condenser will probably need to be replaced,easily found at auto parts store.Clean the points,put on new wires and ends.The plate itself is remarkably thin and easily broken where the handle attaches.There were a lot of those motors made so you should be able to find replacement by placing want ad in classifieds.

The Boat House
        Participant

jcrigan
          Participant

I may have a stator plate to replace that broken one.

Mumbles
            Participant

If you decide to replace your mag plate, the same 72-790 plate was used on several different models.

210-Mag_Plate

With a little bit of determination, you should be able to get that mag looking and sparking like new again. The original capacitor (condenser) for these mags was rated at .27 – .33 microfarads but in the photo I’ve used two axial caps rated at .15 mfd hooked up in parallel to get the same .30 rating.

Johnson-F-70-Mag

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
              Ray Ray
              Participant

Thank you all for your help! Really appreciate the feed back!!

Ray Ray
                Participant

If you decide to replace your mag plate, the same 72-790 plate was used on several different models.

210-Mag_Plate

With a little bit of determination, you should be able to get that mag looking and sparking like new again. The original capacitor (condenser) for these mags was rated at .27 – .33 microfarads but in the photo I’ve used two axial caps rated at .15 mfd hooked up in parallel to get the same .30 rating.

Johnson-F-70-Mag

Mumbles
                  Mag plate looks good! Did you sand blast? What product did you use?

Mumbles
                  Participant

No bead blasting on this one. Just a really thorough cleaning followed by a coat of PlastiKote 282 Cast Aluminum and a NOS coil.

I like to paint all my mag plates and carbs after rebuilding so I can tell at a glance if they have been worked on or not. Since I’m not very good in the record keeping department, this cosmetic painting comes in real handy. Especially when a motor is put away and forgotten about for a few years.

jeff-register
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I agree with the soldering. When repairing Tin or solder the spark plug wire before trying to solder. Then hold the wire on the coil hi volt terminal & apply heat to the wire. When you see the solder melt & shiny get the heat off fast. Try to not overheat the coil as the winds are very thin. For added protection get super corona dope and coat the coils. It’s a high voltage coating insulator, MG chemicals.com.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.