Home Forum Ask A Member 1939 Elto Handitwin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    olcah
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I was given this motor about 4 years ago. After cleaning the points it would run in air, but not in water. I notice that the flywheel magnets will attract a screwdriver blade but not nearly as strongly as say a Big Twin. Also I sprayed OMC engine tune into each cylinder thinking that rings might be stuck as compression seemed low. After working the engine tune thru the cylinders I got compression readings stbd 80 psi and port 65 psi. Port has been consistently low in previous readings even before the engine tune. Removed the port cylinder and the rings are completely loose and springy and move freely in the piston grooves. Rings also move radially around the piston in their grooves. The piston shows no sign of any scoring. The cylinder bore is very smooth except for slight shallow damage between the ports, see photos. It looks like corrosion. To me this slight damage seems minor as I have seen much deeper scoring in bores of good running Big Twins. Also I noticed that one corner of the cylinder base gasket was torn but that probably occurred when I lifted the cylinder.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

damage between ports at 6 oclock

same damage viewed at 12 oclock

damage between ports at 6 oclock

olcah
      Participant

Well, there is excellent info about a similar situation on this thread. https://aomci.org/forums/topic/1973-evinrude-mate-2hp-issues/. Compression problem was solved by replacing the block with one from a parts motor. I do have a parts motor but it also has low compression. I will take a careful look at the rings and see if there is a location pin in the piston, then make a base cylinder gasket, put it together and if there is no improvement assume that the bore is just worn out.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by olcah.
        olcah
        Participant

Looked over the piston groove by rotating the rings around and looking for any sort of ring locator and see none. Rings have plain square ends. In 1961 my Dad replaced rings in our 1947 Sportwin. I kept the motor and the old rings. From the parts list for these two motors these old rings are the same part number as the 1939 Handitwin, 101267 (on the parts envelope from 1961 too, Doc Chauvin, Worcester Mass.). The old rings are also plain square ends.
          Does the lack of ring locators agree with what others have seen working on these small 30s and 40s Evinrudes?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.