1939 Evinrude 5.4 hp

Home Forum Ask A Member 1939 Evinrude 5.4 hp

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    Jeff Oliver

Replies: 5
    Topics: 1

Sir,
    I received a 1939 Evinrude 5.4 hp motor from a friend who obtained it from a widow several years ago. It was running at the time and has been sitting in storage since. Everything is in tac with the motor. It has good compression and I’d like to get it operating again. I have never owned a boat, etc. and know nothing about such motors. What is the best maintenance manual I could obtain to get me started. Also, do you have a tip or two to start me with. Tried to send a picture, but the file size is too large.

nabmd

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 61
    Topics: 4

go to ‘Resources’ at the top of this page, then ‘Links’, then scroll down to ‘For the Old Outboard’, then Art Dekalb; on his site, look under ‘Art’s Extras’ for his ‘5 point plan’.

Jeff Oliver

Art’s tips will be very helpful. Thanks.
    Do you know of a general service manual for vintage Evinrude motors that can depict further, hopefully with illustrations, etc.

nabmd

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 61
    Topics: 4

Art may have a manual; other members hopefully will chime in with suggestions. What is the model #, 4309, 4311, or 4312? try the search box at the top for Evinrude Fisherman.

Jeff Oliver

Model Number : 4309-0041

seakaye12
    seakaye12

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 555
    Topics: 123

Here’s a 1942 Evinrude Service Manual. Not sure if it will help with your specific questions but it might make good general reference.

Attachments:
    Mumbles
    Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4506
    Topics: 432

Hi Jeff. Welcome aboard and what you have there is known as a Fisherman. Is this a two or four cylinder motor as the 5.4 horse Zephyr in 1940 was a four cylinder? If Garry sees this, he will be able to provide needed information.

One thing I’m sure of, the fuel mix should be 16:1 or maybe even richer. and the points will be gapped at .020″.

Jeff Oliver

Looking at the picture in the 1942 Service Manual, it appears to be the Zephyr.
    I can’t tell whether is is a 2 or 4 cylinder motor.

Thank you for all you are helping . The manual will go a long way.

Mumbles
    Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4506
    Topics: 432

5.4 is Zephyr horsepower but the model number shows it as a Fisherman. If you remove the front cover, you’ll be able to count the number of spark plugs.

Jeff Oliver

Understand your explanation. Really appreciate your follow-up.

Jeff Oliver

Two spark plugs present. 2 cylinder motor.
    Hope this helps in providing any other information you may share.
    Thanks again.

mercuryman
    mercuryman

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 404
    Topics: 152

This is not a motor to work on if you have no experience with old outboards try a simple model like Evinrude or Johnson Lightwin 3 hp from 1954 to 1967. If you want a real challenge give the Zephyr a try.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.