1946-47 Champion 2J Rewind Starter

Home Forum Ask A Member 1946-47 Champion 2J Rewind Starter

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1702
    Topics: 34

I picked up a pretty nice example of one of these motors from a fellow member at Tomahawk. It was locked when I received it but neither of us knew why. Apparently it had been a good runner until the recoil starter stopped working. An attempt had been made to repair the starter and after that the engine wouldn’t turn.

I got the engine freed up. That didn’t take much really. I removed the side covers and loosened the bolts at the base of the powerhead a little. I removed the spark plug and gave the cylinder a shot of PB Blaster, and gave the flywheel nut a.little nudge with an end wrench. Boom, we’re were off to the races. Trouble is, the recoil is still messed up.

Is there anything I should know about this recoil starter before I tear into it? It’s a kind of odd setup being it’s at the bottom of the powerhead instead of one top. I’m not too sure what I’m going to find when I get in there. Any help will be appreciated. This is my first adventure with one of these motors.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years

It looks like the powerhead has to come off the top of the recoil. The 4 bolts are out asome well as the 3 screws that hole the exhaust housing together at the elbow. It still doesn’t seem too eager you move though… Anyone know if I’m missing something? I don’t want to break anything.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years

OKHmmmmm…. Crickets…. 😕
    I might be on my own with this one.

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

hotrod

Replies: 119
    Topics: 7

If you are trying to remove the powerhead by first removing the exhaust housing elbow from the powerhead, there is a secret to it. Look at the bottom of the exhaust housing elbow. You will see a large screw plug. Unscrew this plug. There is another screw way up inside the housing that needs to be removed through that screw plug hole.

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks a million Hotrod! I knew there must have been something I was missing. I have been going at it gently to keep from breaking something. The last guy that worked.on it already broke a couple things.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years

Hotrod, That was the key bit of information I needed to get past my roadblock. Thank you very much. I got the powerhead off, the recoil fixed and got it back together. The last guy wound the spring backwards… 😮 🙄

That is a very odd setup with the starter between the powerhead and the midsection. Not too sure what they were thinking when they came up with that one. Anyway, that’s working now. Next it seems I have a carburetor problem to deal with. I got it to pop but not run yet. It is leaking quite a bit.

It has 100psi compression and plenty of spark, so fuel seems to be what’s missing. At least at the proper ratio to air. I’m getting there now anyway. I’m not an expert at these Tillotson carbs yet.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

hotrod

Replies: 119
    Topics: 7

Maybe they used the bottom recoil so the motor wouldn’t tilt upwards when pulling the cord. It was Champions first recoil, began in 1941. It makes the 1941 alternate twin top-heavy though. I restored a 2J a long time ago. It has the bottom recoil also. Took me a while to recall that hidden screw.

Steve A W

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 761
    Topics: 52

Fisherman6
    You didn’t happen to get pictures did you?
    I have one on my someday rack, it has the same starter.
    It works ok but who knows for how long.
    The motor has good compression and spark and ran on
    fuel mix sprayed in the carb, but that’s as far as I got with it.
    I believe Hotrod is right on it being low so the motor doesn’t
    pull forward.
    Good luck with it and try for some pictures if you can.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
    I live in Northwest Indiana

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years

Hi Steve,
    I forgot to get pictures but I may be able to get some yet as I still need to work on the carb same more. It is really leaky and it acts like it is not stopping fuel flow with the float valve. The plug wasn’t wet when I pulled it though, so it doesn’t seem to be flooding. Something still isn’t right.

I just got a 2hp Elgin going last night that has a nearly identical carburetor. I’m starting to get a little more familiar with the Tillotson carbs. It looks like I’m going to get better at cutting gaskets too. The Elgin ended up not being too bad of a leaker. I’ll see what I can get for pictures along the way for you.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.