Home Forum Ask A Member 1946-47 Champion Blue Ribbon 2J Challenges

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Many thanks to Hotrod who gave me the key piece of info I needed to get the rewind fixed on this motor. 😀

Now I have another challenge. When I first tried to start this motor in the barrel, I got a couple pops on the second pull. That was the first and last sign of life. The carburetor was leaking pretty badly and I had only sprayed the passages with carb cleaner with it on the motor. With it leaking I knew it had to come off and get new gaskets and a thorough cleaning.

I have done that now. Engine has 100psi compression and decent spark even at very low rpm. It’s drawing through the carb. I checked it with a piece of tape over the carb inlet and it tried to suck the tape through the carb. The problem is, I don’t even get a pop out of fogging oil or even (say it ain’t so) evil starting fluid. 😯

I cranked the engine over with my cordless drill and choked the carb with my thumb. When I stopped cranking and let my thumb off, fuel poured out of the carb so it’s drawing thru the carb. When I pulled the spark plug it was still dry… 😕 Somehow it seems fuel still isn’t reaching the cylinder. I’m not sure what I’m missing here. Hopefully it’s something simple. Single cylinder points ignition 2 stroke. The whole thing isn’t that complicated, but it has me stumped right now. Anyone have any ideas?
      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Have you considered the possibility that maybe it has too much fuel (flooded)? I mean with all the spraying fuel in and over choking, etc, etc.

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have indeed. My first thought with the carburetor dripping/leaking was flooding. When I pulled the spark plug and it was still dry, that led me to believe the opposite condition existed. Any other engine I have ever dealt with after cranking and over choking had a sopping wet spark plug. In this case I purposely tried to flood it just to be able to see that fuel was getting to the cylinder. It appears that it is not.
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

slim60
          Participant

I would remove the needle valves and spray carb cleaner into the holes, then blow into it with compressed air at 10 psi or less. Use a trigger with a rubber tip. Also check float valve for gunk or varnish. I use old brass guitar strings for cleaning seats. Or just disassemble and soak the carb overnight and blow it out. Squirting fuel into the sparks plug holes will confirm a plugged carb.

oldsenile
            Participant

I played with one a year ago and it had cracked coils. I had spark with plugs hanging in air but went away on compression.

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have not pulled the flywheel on this motor to inspect the coil yet since I was getting decent spark (open air of course). The latest on this one is in bou h the a new Autolite 386 to replace the Champion 7 that was in it, and I primed the cylinder with fuel mix. I gave it a pull and it fired. I put it back in the barrel and turned the fuel on. I pressed the choke and pulled the rope and it started. It ran for a minute or so in the barrel. It was seeping water from the exhaust gaskets but I saw none from anywhere else. It seemed to be getting a little warm. I leaned the high speed needle a bit and it seemed to stop with a little resistance. It was almost like it was starting to seize but it didn’t seem anywhere near hot enough to seize. It’s still free and it will start but I don’t want to run it very much until I can look into it a bit more. Is there supposed to be water spraying from the exhaust relief holes? I’m thinking I have cooling problems even though I did see some seepage at the gaskets. Do these motors have a rubber impeller?

Again, any input / advice is welcome. I seem to have the fuel issue more or less resolved, but I’m still not done with all the issues.
                -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

hotrod
                Participant

I’m pretty sure that it has a centrifugal metal impeller that may not pump well in a barrel with lots of bubbles. Works best on a boat in motion. The weight of the water exiting in the outlet tube, just below the anti-cavitation plate, aids in the circulation while idling, once all air is removed from the system.

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks again Hotrod. I thought that motor had the metal impeller. I need to empty my barrel and refill it anyway. I’ll make sure it has plenty of water in it to get it close and then I’ll try it on the boat. Im.looking forward to running this one. I don’t want to hurt it in the process of getting it back up and running. I’ll try it.out when I get a chance and report back.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Update: I emptied the nasty oily water out of my test barrel and refilled it with fresh clear water back up to a high level. I hadn’t filled it since late spring and it was getting low from evaporation. I put the old Champion 2J in the barrel, opened the vent on the tank and the fuel valve, put the throttle in Start position, pressed.the choke and gave the rope a tug. The old girl fired off amd would stay running at mid speed or higher. 😀 SUCCESS AT LAST!!

With a bit of fiddling with the needle settings, I got it running pretty well now. It’s ready for a boat test at my first available opportunity. It seems a little water around the exhaust gaskets but not enough to matter. I’m ready to put all the covers back on and take it for a putt when time permits.

Thanks to all that contributed. Most of all, thanks to Hotrod on this one. He gave me some very helpful advice and now I have it running. Hopefully it proves to be a good reliable runner. I think I’m going to enjoy this one.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s running, tuned up and seems to be happy again. Here is a video of it running on my Alumacraft in my pond. I should have thanked Hotrod in the video too, but he knows he’s the reason I figured out how to remove the powerhead. Anyway, here’s the link if anyone wants to watch.
                        -Ben

https://youtu.be/KanLbNJD_hc

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.