Home Forum Ask A Member 1946 Mercury KD4 Question #2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Harrison_Bergeron
    Participant

I am attempting to make a new gasket for the prop seal on this KD4 and had a quick question. The cork gasket sheets that I had lying is around are thicker than the gasket that was already there. If I add my new homemade gasket when I tighten it back up will the cork just squish into place? My worry is that the thicker cork will make it so that the gears do not align back up properly.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Sometimes cork gasket has a tendency to squish “out of place” if over tightened,
        causing a leak. I think I’d try to find some non cork gasket material the same
        thickness and a good gasket sealer.

Prepare to be boarded!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Harrison_Bergeron
        Participant

Thanks!, What about just putting some RTV gasket sealer / maker down and then putting the old gasket on top of the RTV? Would you make a new one?

green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Factory used thin gasket. A thick gasket will change gear lash.
            Karropak 1/64″ or 1/32″ are in range of several replacement gasket
            sets I measured.
            The 3 slit type water pumps have an oil seal in the water pump
            housing. I believe C/R 4923
            The drive shaft seal is made from leather, a scrap of leather can be
            used to make a replacement.
            Cork is NOT suitable for this application and may do harm by upsetting
            factory gear lash arrangements.
            Karropak is suitable for sealing oil, gas, and coolant as well as water.
            Louis
            There are 3 ways for water to enter or grease to leave…likely all 3
            could stand attention nearly 3/4 century afte KD4 left factory.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by green-thumbs.
            Harrison_Bergeron
            Participant

Okay I have some gasket material that my local auto parts store had called “Victolex.” I think it will work pretty well with some waterpump rtv. It looks similar to the Karropak. I was thinking about trying to get it started after adding some 105 lubriplate and just seeing if the impeller works before taking the whole housing apart.Is this a terrible idea? My thought is if the impeller works than I am not going to take everything apart until this winter when I would have time to try to do the oil seal and drive shaft seal.

green-thumbs
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The REALLY important things are 1) impeller 2) gear lash 3) grease
                The lower unit water pump and gear case are well designed and easy to
                understand. There have been several in depth threads relating to the
                care and treatment. Low cost widely available impeller have been adapted to replace the tired old impeller.
                Gear Lash…the gear contact is controlled by steel shims ahead of prop
                shaft gear and a bronze spacer and steel shim above pinion gear
                on drive shaft. If these are left out the gears will nosily chew each other
                to pieces.
                Grease…gears like to be lubed by this slippery slime…the plug in side
                of gear case is often corroded in place. LEAVE it alone…pack grease
                into gear case when water pump is off.
                The water pump is secured to gear case by 2 screws with lock washers…under size heads and small diameter lock washers…they are
                specific for this location,,,regular screws and lock washers will not fit.

You need to pay attention as you take the Early K Models apart AND
                often find that a prior mechanic did not. Throwing all the fasteners
                in one place will come back to haunt you when assembling as many
                of the fasteners are fractions of an ench different in length to suit
                different locations. Measure length of thread and size of head as
                your remove and record for reference when putting things back together,
                Louis

fifty20ne
                Participant

US Member

I use FELPRO KARROPAK Gasket material purchased at AUTOZONE Parts Store.
                  Thickness is the same as Mercury KIEKHAEFER Factory gasket = .0145″

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/gasket-material/fel-pro-3046-gasket-material/297303_0_0?spps.s=1757

For Grease CORN HEAD grease from any John DEERE dealer or
                  Lubriplate # 105 it’s harder to find? you might try AMAZON?

I’ll post a diagram showing shim washers.

Good Luck,

Bob

IMG_4351

IMG_4352

Chart8

MERCURY PARTS LIST DESCRIPTION
                  PDF File

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6wRLMxPeVaiOWIxNDRkZWItOWRjMC00YTJhLTg3YWQtNDU3OWY2ZjRjZjlh/view

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by fifty20ne.
                  • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by fifty20ne.
                  Harrison_Bergeron
                  Participant

Thanks everyone! I am supposed to get some 105 Lubriplate from ebay tomorrow and then I am going to try and start her up and see how it goes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.