Home Forum Ask A Member 1946 scott atwater/firestone 3.6hp water pump impeller rotor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    wkipp11
    Participant

Anybody still make/supply a impeller for a 1946 scott atwater/firestone 3.6hp outboard? Been searching for days, cant find anything. Heard of a member named brian wilcox who might make them. Maybe another make/model replacement that might fit. Besides water pump, motor works great. Thanks in advanced.

jimbrizzolara
      Participant

Someone who knows more will chime in soon, but I thought the impeller in those motors was steel, or cast iron.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Two sources:

Brian Wilcox call 810-794-7685 before 8 pm est please.Or email Baron0418@att.net. please note the b must be a capital.

OR—

http://home.earthlink.net/~flyingscott/

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Someone who knows more will chime in soon, but I thought the impeller in those motors was steel, or cast iron.

Nope it’s a wobble type rubber rotor.

wkipp11
            Participant

Thanks for the quick replies. I called and left brian a voicemail. Appreciate everyones help.

wkipp11
              Participant

Alright. Quick update and some questions. I emailed bob(flyingscott) for the impeller and needed to know if it was a rotor or a impelller. I assumed rotor from schematics. Upon taking lower unit off, i discovered the impeller is made completely of aluminum and has 6 fins. Hmmm. Ill attach pictures if i can.
                So, the impeller looks fine. Maybe this isnt a scott atwater. From a video i watched, it looked like the water exited from a hole below cylinder head. Turns out this isnt a hole and is part of the casting. I can blow air through the impeller hole and it exits from another tube by the lower unit. I can hold my finger over tube end and can see a little water coming out by head bolt. Very small amount. Im assuming it is pumping water at this point. Does any of this sound correct? See pictures and i can explain further.
                There is no graphics on motor. I do have some serial numbers though.
                #462 stamped on motor casting. 460-38671 stamped on by mounting bracket. All help is much appreciated.

wkipp11
                Participant

More pictures

phil
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Alright. Quick update and some questions. I emailed bob(flyingscott) for the impeller

What’s Bob’s current website/contact info? The old url http://home.earthlink.net/~flyingscott/ no longer works!

http://www.omc-boats.org
                    http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

wkipp11
                    Participant

Flyingscott91@yahoo. Hope he doesnt mind me giving that out. Brian wilcox also replied back. Still makes impellers.

jnjvan
                      Participant

US Member

You have a 1946 Firestone model 460, made by Scott-Atwater. Your serial number is 38671. I have the same motor. Your impeller looks okay to me. Should pump fine if the passages are clear. These were known for bad head gaskets, which may be why you’re seeing water near the head bolt. Scott went to a six bolt head in 1947, likely to alleviate that problem. They also converted to the wobble rotor pump in ’47.

John Van

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by jnjvan.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.