Home Forum Ask A Member 1947 Evinrude Sportsman – LU Grease or Oil?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member

So I filled the lower unit in my 1947 Sportsman with grease, as per the decal on the motor which says to use Evinrude Grease. I used Lubriplate 104. I located an original owner’s manual and it says "use SAE40 oil, NOT grease" – which is correct?

Mumbles
      Participant

Your ’47 should be OK with the grease as I believe it was in ’48 they started using lip seals on the shafts so oil could be used instead of grease as there was now a ball bearing on the driveshaft. Was the manual for a ’48 model 4425 by any chance?

lindy46
        Participant

US Member

This is for models 4414, 15, 16 and 4417 – it does show a ball bearing on the driveshaft and a "Truarc" ring to hold it in place. It shows 2 oil seals: one at the rear of the housing and one at the rear of the prop.

Attachments:

Mumbles
          Participant

I’d go with the recommended oil then and only use grease if the seals are worn badly and letting oil out or water in. The seals are NLA but SKF makes current ones which will work. Part number 4770 for the D/S seal and P/N 5523 for the P/S seal. ‘Grease’ cast into the housing can be misleading as earlier motors did use grease and the word remained on the housings for years after switching to oil.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mumbles,
              Reminds me of a KH7. If it had the new impeller housing 7/16" tall it was stamped "C" on the bottom of the anti-cav plate. Must mean Cooler running factory upgrade? Who knew?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.