Home Forum Ask A Member 1947 Evinrude Zephyr (4404) Spark Plugs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Austin Bourdon
    Participant

I’m in the process of restoring a 1947 Evinrude Zephyr and was thinking about upgrading the spark plug wire ends from the original terminal rings to caps/boots. Has anyone done this or is there any reason (electrically) to not do this conversion?

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

As long as there’s no clearance issues with the front cover using
        boots, you should be okay.

Prepare to be boarded!

Mumbles
        Participant

There isn’t much room under the front cover on a Zephyr for clearance so you will want to run shorty spark plugs if you are going to use boots on the terminals. NGK plugs, with a screw on terminal, in either BM6A or BM7A would be a good choice as they are of the correct thread size and heat range. The screw on terminal will also allow you to use the original ring terminals to, if desired.

These motors were known to occasionally catch on fire if they had a fuel leak and a spark jumped from the plugs ring terminal to the cover. Using shorty plugs would help to eliminate that problem.

joecb
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes … exactly as Mumbles suggests. I use the NGK BM7A on all my Zephyrs … they run good. Just be aware that the NGK screw terminal thread is metric , so you can’t just grab any terminal cap or nut and use it on these plugs. Oh’ another thing , be aware that with NGK the higher numbers are cooler heat range as opposed to our common Champions where higher numbers designate hotter heat range.

Joe B

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by joecb.
            Austin Bourdon
            Participant

Thanks everyone! I got the shorty plugs and am in the process of changing the spark plug wires. Will share results when complete.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.