1948-1949 1.5 HP Gale (Hiawatha/Goodyear/MW) Mechanical Proceedure Manual

Home Forum Ask A Member 1948-1949 1.5 HP Gale (Hiawatha/Goodyear/MW) Mechanical Proceedure Manual

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• 49hiawatha

Replies: 265
    Topics: 25

Does a Mechanical Procedure Manual (service and assembly) exist separately or as a a part of a larger manual for the 1948-1949 1.5 HP models?

I know the Ken Cook offerings.No mechanical procedure to the best of my reading. I own an Eaton and Montgomery Ward Owners Manual and Parts List. They are generic to the 1.5 HP. I own a 1941-1950 Master Illustrated Parts Catalog 1941-1950 by Gale. Illustrations and part identification w/numbers. Apparently OMC did publish specific year/model procedure manuals.Did Gale?

ken-w

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 82
    Topics: 20

49hiawatha

Thanks KenW – I have that one already but hopefully others can equally appreciate your kind effort.

What I have been blown away by is all the AOMCI posting of extremely detailed mechanical info of the same period with OMC motors. Does that exist for Gale? I am very familiar with antique car manuals , especially Hudson , and they were very detailed/instructional materials w/periodic revisions. That is what I am attempting to find now. Clymer and other generics in my mind , don’t cut it. Thanks again.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

OMC did not publish model-specific Johnson, Evinrude or Gale service manuals prior to around 1960-ish.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Johnson’s 10th Edition of their service manual probably is the best. It includes many models, but is well organized.
    http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/ … .html#/162

49hiawatha

Thank you Frank R..that is the quality of information that I am seeking. However, that also teaches me the limitations sometimes of off-shoots. However, as I knew from my decades of Hudson restoration, you better buy a car/product run by engineers until they tank because they over-engineer something versus planned obsolescence and quick manufacture for repeat sales.

SCOTT MEYER

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 16
    Topics: 5

I have a service manual published by MW in July 1949 that covers all their Gale produced SEA KING models up to that date including the 1.5HP model.
    It’s hard copy and 76 pages. I haven’t scanned it as of yet as it’s quite labor intensive to do with a book, but I can start the project if there is interest. It’s quite unique and informative.

49hiawatha

Well scotty there is an interest and need on my part , but I can not speak for the club. I have discovered there are considerable numbers of these motors owned as part of some folk’s general collections. Look at past meet pictures and you see them. The Hiawatha and Montgomery Ward Sea King 1.5 HP are identical in tank construction while the Goodyear Sea Bee and Gale tanks are unique/different. The Canadian Eaton Vikings 1.5 HP appear to be identical to the Hiawatha/MW.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.