Home Forum Ask A Member 1948 Gale Hiawatha 5HP

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    NBD925
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Thanks for all the help Frank and Jcrigan. I ordered a Clutch Ring yesterday.

Any insight on the gaskets where the head meets the lower unit and that water passage plate below. Or is it best to try to make them?

frankr
      Participant

The gaskets are 550348 and 550452 Marineengine has the 550452

NBD925
        Participant

Wow, I feel like a dummy. I didn’t realize the old part numbers would still work. I’ll keep that in mind and look for them on that site and the internet.

Amazing I had no idea. Thanks Frank. I’ll let you guys know when I get her back together. Thinking I should have all the parts by next week.

NBD925
          Participant

Frank, any idea why the gasket and the plate has this hole? I see the hole is just above the water passage on the return side but the head has nothing.
            The head does not have a hole that matches it. See pictures below: realize the head is upside down. If there was a hole it would be somewhere in the red circle I drew.

I was thinking that the mystery hole might be a universal fitting gasket and plate that may work on a different model. Is that correct?

The original gasket seemed to also have this hole.

Another question: what would be the purpose of the extra water passage Chanel that goes passed the inlet and outlet areas. See third picture of pump passage highlighted in green. Yellow square shows about where the water return hole is in the plate and gasket.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by NBD925.
            frankr
            Participant

Hoo boy, I thought this might come up. Truth is, I am aware that there were changes made in that area along about that time, and some different gaskets to go along with the changes. BUT, the details of the changes I just don’t remember. The gasket numbers I posted are the correct ones for your model. Now the question might become if you order them will you get the correct ones, or will you get something that has gotten mixed up on some dealer’s shelf over the past 70 years? So many questions, so little rememberance. I’m afraid you are going to have to do some research and study/discovery on the subject.

Meanwhile, I’ll study your pictures and see if anything comes back to me. Hey, I’m 83 and counting.

frankr
              Participant

Just for your review and FWIW, here are the diagrams for your 1948 motor and the 5S10 (1951), Notice the different manifold cover gaskets.

Pg-38-Powerhead-Side

Pg-10-Manifold-and-Bracket

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by frankr.
                • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by frankr.
                NBD925
                Participant

What kind of torque should I be torquing these nuts down to connecting the head to the lower unit?

I believe there are three screws and 8 nuts with spring washers (Lock washers) holding the head down.

NBD925
                  Participant

Any one know what that torque might be or do I just use a general accepted torque value For that size nut and thread?

frankr
                    Participant

Generally accepted.

NBD925
                      Participant

Ok, a few new problems have popped up. I ordered a water pump from Brian Wilcox and it just arrived. But . . . The pump overall size is much smaller than the original. See attached pictures. Should I be asking for a different thing? Maybe it was just a mix up or maybe he just doesn’t make one for this 1948 Hiawatha 5hp. I have not herd back from Brian yet but will let you guys know when I do.

Next problem is the Prop. When I installed the prop and the new rubber clutch ring there was still some side to side play and some play in and out on the prop shaft. I tightened the prop nut and it looks like the shear pin was bending into a U before anything got tight. Any ideas here? I was thinking maybe the (Propeller Clutch Hub) was worn out.

How tight should the prop nut be? I tighten the nut by hand until the pin hole lines up and then how much tighter do you make the nut? Is there a general rule for all prop nuts?

9C4AA66F-90A7-4D34-B4A7-F8D14136DD1E

154D2B67-C7C1-4316-9205-3BF859C7541F

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Mumbles.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 52 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.