Home Forum Ask A Member 1948 johnson td20 5hp, grease running down outside

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    conrad-miller
    Participant

My Johnson 1948, TD 20, 5 hp. Has grease running down the outside shaft cover, from where the motor and the lower section is, there is that piece that bolts or amounts the motor to the boat, anyway that is where they grease is coming out. Can anyone tell me how to fix this, I know nothing about how to take it apart, so if you could tell me how to take it apart and where I might get parts, I would be very grateful. Also I would like to thank you for taking your time to read my post

1946zephyr
      Participant

It sounds like the typical unburned fuel sign, to me. That one always peaks people’s curiosity. Motors like yours, that run heavier oil mix will show these signs more. If it’s leaking around where the lower unit bolts to the mid section, then you could clean the mounting surfaces and apply a thin coat of sealer there.

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

So Conrad, are you saying it is coming from the steering swivel area, at the top? It so happens that the crankcase drain is located in that area, cleverly hidden so that it lubricates the swivel with the oil that would otherwise be dumped into the lake. Yes, it winds up in the lake anyway, but at least you never find one with a stuck steering (I haven’t anyway).

It’s normal, just the way it was, "back then".

legendre
          Participant

@conrad

Can you post a pic of the issue (pardon the pun..)?

quote FrankR:

So Conrad, are you saying it is coming from the steering swivel area, at the top? It so happens that the crankcase drain is located in that area, cleverly hidden so that it lubricates the swivel with the oil that would otherwise be dumped into the lake.

Is there a photo of this ‘crankcase drain’? If it’s hidden on an assembled engine, then a photo of the separate parts is fine..

frankr
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It is hidden. Furthermore, it is not a separate mechanical part–at least not that I remember. Too many years and too many tears since I’ve had one apart in that area. Remember the 5hp Gale motors that have the exposed curved drain pipe in the area? People love to worry about that thing.

conrad-miller
              Participant

how would I go about posting photo of the area, in this forum?

david-bartlett
                Participant

The attached photo shows what my RD_16 does if I troll using 24:1 mix. I suspect you have a similar issue. May not be as pretty as mine, as I use nice green oil.

It is unburned fuel mix coming out the drain as Frank has explained above. If you run at speed, rather than at idle, it will be much less noticeable.

legendre
                  Participant
                    quote conrad miller:

how would I go about posting photo of the area, in this forum?

1) The photo must be hosted elsewhere, such as on a "free" service such as Photobucket, Imgur etc. or a personal website.

2) Take the URL (link) that points directly to your selected image and post it using the [Img] tag feature on this site. Here’s an example of how to add that code to a post:

code :

That’s all there’s to it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.