1948 Johnson

Home Forum Ask A Member 1948 Johnson

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• janmol

Replies: 3
    Topics: 1

I bought a 48 5hp Johnson and used 3 years. Runs great. I think 48 – first year "twist throttle" avail. F/N/R lever broke inside. Shift and nothing happens. Parts rattle inside. Handy with engines, not outboards. Will tackle in a week or so. Will I be able to logically see what’s wrong, and do you think I’ll be able to find parts? Where?

mercuryman

Replies: 467
    Topics: 167

It’s may be a 1954, if you take off the power head you should see the problem. Doug Penn on the internet would be a good place for parts.

janmol

OK I’ll tackle it. I found Doug Penn on line for when I need parts. Thanks for the help.

janmol

Found problem. Did as advised. Tip broke off top of shaft that runs down to foot so it’s not connected to upper shift lever. Before I contact Doug Penn and get the part, is it going to be as easy at the bottom end? I know I need to take lower foot off to get loose part out of there. Do I need special tools or will I be able to "see and figure out" like I did with the top end? Thanks for your comments – I’m having fun. Last thing it’s a CD-12

Steve A W

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 761
    Topics: 52

JANMOL
    Welcome to the forum.
    It is a1955 Johnson. Great motor, I have one for a fishing motor.
    Sorry but the lower unit will not be as easy as the top.
    I’ll let someone else explain what Your going to have to do,
    I’m not that good at it.
    Here is a link to a parts breakdown at marinengine.com for it.
    http://www.marineengine.com/parts/vinta … 700001.htm

Good Luck with it.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
    I live in Northwest Indiana

janmol

Thanks for all the help. Found part number, but not available. I’m trying to find an entire lower unit. If not, I’ll figure out a way to fix it at the top end with hardware I find somewhere. It’s become a mission. I can’t seem to let this thing die. I’m flabbergasted at the engineering and workmanship in this thing. It’s maybe almost too complex, but a thing of beauty. I’d forgotten how spectacular workmanship was on products of that era. 60 years old and I can keep it running! I see how you guys got addicted to it. I may also someday, but for now I just want to take my grandson fishing in an old 12′ boat I found on some property I bought and made seaworthy again.

reivertom

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 790
    Topics: 40

Your motor is far from dead. The good thing is parts are around and not too expensive. You will have to get a used one, but that’s ok. These are among the best running motors and can hold up to any new motor as far as function.

chinewalker

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 459
    Topics: 15

What, exactly, is broken on your motor? I have a fair bit of parts and pieces in my bin from 1950s Johnrudes and may have what you need…

mr-asa

Replies: 794
    Topics: 138
    quote Chinewalker:

What, exactly, is broken on your motor? I have a fair bit of parts and pieces in my bin from 1950s Johnrudes and may have what you need…

It sounds like the broken part is the shift rod, #43

Is that correct JANMOL?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.