1948 Zephyr, points

Home Forum Ask A Member 1948 Zephyr, points

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)

• 7tcu

Replies: 18
    Topics: 5

I took off the flywheel and everything g looks good but I have not figured out what makes the points open up. I am used to seeing a cam come around and open them but I do not see anything that would open the points up so you can set the gap. What am I missing?

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 7495
    Topics: 1072

I have not opened up a Zephyr in years, but is the cam inside the flywheel?

Prepare to be boarded!

7tcu

It is coned shaped inside the flywheel that probably opens the points, but I don’t see any cam, it all looks concentric, but it could be I am just eye balling the fly wheel. So as the flywheel opens the points, how would you go about setting the gap.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Same here, too many years, too many tears But I’d be looking for a cam ground on the flywheel hub where it sticks down between the points. It was fairly common practice, but I can’t say for the zephyr.

7tcu

Giving a good look, one side to the cone in the flywheel looks thicker than the other side and would open up the points. and as setting the points it looks like you just insert the points in its holder and clamp the down and they are set. this set of points fit in slot and then are clamped down. looks like it was engineered so you don’t have to set them.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

The cam is ground into the crankshaft. Look closely and you can see it. The flat end of the points pushrod contacts the crank in this area.

Zephyr-Mag

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.

7tcu

My Zephyr is a model 4404 and is different from the picture you sent, so the cam has to be in the flywheel. Too much distance from the shaft to the points for a cam on the shaft.

DSCN0090_Fotor

Mumbles

If you roll those felt oiling wicks back you should see the pushrods which ride on the crank and open the points. If your points are not opening or can’t be adjusted, either the pushrods are missing or they are severely worn.

If you loosen the clamp screw on the bottom of the mag plate, you will be able to lift the plate right off the motor. This will make it easier to see the pushrods and the corresponding notch in the crank.

Zephyr-Plate-Screw

7tcu

Yes, the end of the points are under the felt, and the cone in side the flywheel is what opens and closes the points. The cone looks concentric but is not. It is thicker on one side to open and close e the point.

DSCN0097

Mumbles

Ok, then please explain how you are going to set the points without an access hole in the flywheel for a feeler gauge?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.