Home Forum Ask A Member 1948 Zephyr, points

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

Mumbles is correct ! The breaker point pushrod rides on the crankshaft. (points should be set at 0.020″) The taper on the flywheel hub ends just above the felt oiler wicks . . .

7tcu
      Participant

Not the best picture but there is about 1/8″ clearance between the shaft and the end of the points and there is nothing on the shaft to contact the end of the points. After measuring the flywheel and where it fits the cone would fit in-between the points. With nothing on the shaft even coming close to the end of the points, what else but the flywheel could be opening the points?

DSCN0099

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.
        The Boat House
        Participant

7tcu
          Participant

Good idea Tubs, you can turn the shaft all you want and the points don’t move. And by the way the flywheel nut is captured by the starting rope recoil apparatus and is used to tighten down the flywheel as well as it is a puller to remove the flywheel. They had good idea’s back then.

The Boat House
            Participant

aquasonic
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

There is another possibility that comes to mind why you can turn the crankshaft without the points opening and closing. If the points pushrods exist, and are not touching the crankshaft cam when it is turned, then maybe someone loosened the points set screws. I have motors with similar style points such as the Johnson TD-20 model, from the same time period. The points have to be pushed into position, then locked in with the set screw. If the screw is loose, the points tend to slide away from the crankshaft, as they are under spring tension from the round end of the pushrod pushing against the springy point plate.

The flywheel does not open the points, the crankshaft cam does. That is the whole purpose for the points pushrods. The crankshaft turns with the pushrod riding it, or near it, (if adjusted properly). Once it hits the “high spot” on the cam, the pushrod pushes the point plate and the points then open.

With the set screws loosened, try turning the crankshaft to the point where the “high spot” matches up with one of the pushrods, then push the points toward the crankshaft until they open slightly. Once that gap is 0.020″, then tighten the points set screw. This may take a few attempts. All points need to be clean, and adjusted properly, and there are several variables that affect the adjustment, such as contact wear, pushrod wear, etc.

7tcu
                Participant

aguasonic, that is exactly what has happen. After moving the points I could see the cam portion on the shaft, plus my eyes aren’t what they should be. Now all I need is to find a set of those wire gauges to properly set the gap. All I have right now is feeler gauges. Thanks to all for keeping on me to get this right.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

think you are missing the fiber push rods that link the spring mounted contact point to the crankshaft – part number 0195526 –

7tcu
                    Participant

I think you are referring to part 193526, and I do not have one of those. I wonder after looking at the end of the points that contacts the cam, what would hold these fiber push rods? Looking at the end of the points I do not see any way a rod would attach itself to the points.

Mumbles
                      Participant

I have sets of these points put away and when I return home later today, I’ll post some photos of them.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.