Home Forum Ask A Member 1950s Big Twin (Lark) electric start

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    mgsolakis
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I am struggling to set up my Evinrude Lark with electric start. I got it with all the wires cut off-I guess to remove it from the previous boat. From the wiring harness there are 7 wires. 1) Big Red that goes to battery 2) Big Black goes to battery. 3/4) 2 small black wire I assume could be to connect to the push starter. (please correct me if I’m wrong) 5) Small blue wire (no idea) 6) Small White (no idea) 7) Small Red wire (again no idea). Inside the engine I have a big red terminal which I assume attaches to the screw on the starter. Then I have the blue and white wires loose and I’m not sure where they go. I also have a red wire coming off the solinoid that is just dangling as well. Can anyone help me make sense of this mess?

opposedtwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

many of us have diagrams which will help you, but it would be good to know the year of your lark. there were differences from year to year. does it have a generator?

frankr
        Participant

US Member

It would be easier if you said what year. But maybe this will give you some clues. BTW, blue and yellow are always for a generator kit, and two blacks are ignition kill.

http://postimg.org/image/ys015eiy7/

mgsolakis
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’m struggling to find the year but the model number is 50852. I don’t think it has a generator. So I assume I just tape off the blue and yellow. (your right the white wire is in fact a yellow wire). Does the red wire in the motor connect to the starter?

opposedtwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

if hat’s the model number, then it can’t be from the 50s. I don’t see that model number anywhere on marineengine.com

mgsolakis
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Seem strange but that’s the model number-its a 50s motor with the clam shell cowl.

mgsolakis
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

These motors are built in Peterborough, Canada and perhaps that explains the strange model numbers.

opposedtwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

1956 lark

opposedtwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

1957 lark

opposedtwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

1959 lark

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.