Home Forum Ask A Member 1951? 5hp Sea King

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jimk
    Participant

Ok, so now I picked up a 1951 I think Sea King 5 hp. This has a forward and neutral shift that is cable operated and I would like to pull the lower unit. It seems to be stuck in forward but putting a little more force on the cable doesn’t seem to help so I would like to pull the lower unit and see if I can get it to shift out of forward but I have no idea how. My old evinrudes either there is a brass piece that seperates the shift rods or you pull the powerhead to drop it. What must be done with this cable operated shift? Any one know of a good you tube video for it as I cant find one. This little motor is in good shape or seems to be so I will enjoy trying to bring it back to life. After the bottom end is taken care of I will move to the powerhead. Think I will at least have to redo all the ignition. Thanks for any help, Jim

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Look carefully where the cable is attached at the neutral shifter lever. It I held by a simple clamping affair. Loosen the clamp, then pull the cable upward a bit and retighten. But before you monkey with that, you do realize it won’t shift unless running don’t you? If not running, at least rotating as when pulling the starter rope. As soon as it stops rotating, it goes back into forward.

frankr
        Participant

If you do decide it is broken, undo the cable clamp and remove the four bolts and remove the lower unit to access the clutch. The clutch spring may be broken. Warning: drain the oil before dropping the lower unit or it will dump all over your shoes.

jimk
          Participant

That is maybe the problem. I havent tryed starting it yet. It must be able to start in gear? I have to clean the fuel tank before I put new gas in it and I am only getting spark on one cylinder so havent messed with it to much. I will go threw the ignition to! Just wanted to check water pump before I attempted to start it but thought it should be in neutral to do so. There seems to be good spring pressure on the shift lever but when putting in neutral it still clicked as in gear. I think on this one I will probably have a few more questions down the road. Thanks, Jim

jimk
            Participant

I cant seem to find a parts diagram and parts list for this motor and It would help to disassemble. Is there one out there that somebody can share. I did find a youtube vidio on it but seems to skip over some parts that I would think would be important. Thanks for the help! Jim

frankr
              Participant

The clutch release lever and water pump are attached to the 1/4″ thick plate #17, above the gearcase. After disconnecting the clutch cable up above at the shifter lever remove the four bolts and drop the entire lower unit, including the #17 plate. The clutch cable will come down with it. Not to fear, it feeds back up through a copper tube.

The clutch spring #35 has a tab on the top end. As the spring rotates, the tab comes around and is interrupted by the trip lever #29. That stops the spring and unwinds it a bit, and it loses its grip on the clutch hub, voila!–neutral. If that sounds weird, just think, most mfr’s used the system in one form or another as some time. Gale, Johnson, Evinrude, Mercury, Champion, Martin, to nave a few. Some, such as Champion used two clutches to get forward and reverse. Last but not least, OMC used the basic theory by the thousands in their electric shift motors.

Pg-18-Lower-Unit-Gearcase

jimk
                Participant

Once again many thanks frankr. That will be a big help!

jimk
                  Participant

You wouldnt per chance have a diagram of the top end?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.