Home Forum Ask A Member 1951 Johnson rd-11

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    joshadurham
    Participant

Anyone have experience with this model Johnson? I just found one that I might buy, and know nothing about it. It’s in decent shape and is complete. I have a cd-13 5.5hp and love it.

opposedtwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have had a number of the early big twins over the years and love them. they run great when they have good compression numbers. if it’s less than 100 lbs, you’ll have trouble getting it to idle well. they’re a bit noisier than the later models like the 1955 and newer ones. take a compression tester with you and check the compression in both cylinders. easy to work on. you’ll love it.
        scott

legendre
        Participant

I have no experience with that model, but any Johnson motor of that era should be a good bet – assuming it wasn’t abused to death. They had some decent engineers on-board.

chris-p
          Participant

As stated, they are great motors. A bit louder than the ’55 and on as Scott stated due to design. parts can be a bit more troublesome to find than the ’55 and on as well, but with the forum here it is not that difficult.

david-bartlett
            Participant

Josh,

I have an RD-16 which is the same thing, just a couple years newer. Very neat motor. Easy to work on. Ignition components and carb kits readily available.
              The way the cowling attaches makes it a bit harder to access things, and makes for some extra vibration noise, but hey, it is 60 plus years old and still going.

Make sure you run at least 24:1 fuel/oil mix, and preferably 16:1.

Here is a pic of mine with my JW-11.

joshadurham
              Participant

Thanks for the responses! The guy is set on $175.00. Seems high to me. Thoughts? He says it runs, and maybe it does, but cosmetically speaking, it’s bad. All scratched up. Can’t even read Johnson on the side.

david-bartlett
                Participant

Josh,

I think you are better off starting with a good running motor over a good looking motor. Best if you can get both, but that’s life.

JMHO

joshadurham
                  Participant

Yea I got lucky with my Johnson cd-13. Looks good and runs perfect for a bargain, and came with a tank and fuel line.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

At the dealership where I worked at the time, once the quieter motors with flip-up hoods came out in 1955, after a couple of years we could hardly give away used Pre-1955 25hps. Now they are popular again. Isn’t it funny how things work out?

I don’t think $175 is unreasonable, but condition is everything. So is location.

joshadurham
                      Participant

Went and looked at the RD-11 today. Compression was an even 88 on both cylinders. Basically everything that was supposed to move was gummed up from non use. And there was no spark. The motor was covered in crusty salt looking deposits. It did shift correctly. But in the end due to lower compression, and the no spark, I passed. And I now know that I prefer the hinged motor cowl. The cowl on this 51 was a pain to remove. The search continues.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.