Home Forum Ask A Member 1952- 58 Johnson or Evinrude 15/18 best years?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I am looking for a very nice motor in this year range for a friend who has a beautiful 14′ Rienell 15" transom wooden rowboat.
      Are there any years that are better than others, years with problems or weaknesses to avoid?
      We will be going to look at a 1954 Johnson 15 in extremely good cosmetic shape with tank for $425,Has not run in a few years ,so of course it will need all the normal maintenance .
      Any insights would be great.
      Thanks, Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well…. seems a bit pricy…..but if you are confident and at ease with that price go ahead

I have picked up a FD for $25 CDN which did not need much other than the usuals coils points etc… impeller
        2 x 9.5hp 1966 one $50 CDN other was $75 CDN

3 x JW for 20-40-50 $ CDN (not a 15hp but still good deals )

a 5.5 and 7..5 both below $75 cdn absolute gems… for trolling
        I think late 50s is better than early 50s early 60s mostly run on fuel pump single line

HP is not always proportional to pricing has been my experience in this fun hobby

in conclusion…. wait and shop the craiglist kijiji etc…. if not in a hurry

whatever you buy….do compression testing

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

As far as "best years" go, The 18s from 1959 and up were more refined engines, having single line fuel tanks and thermostatically controlled cooling for consistent idle at all water temps. They also had the fiberglass cover for quieter operation.
          Dave

nali
          Participant

crosbyman , where do you find them at those prices ?
            I often look a Kijiji, but prices are always at least 100 $ for any 1950 engine 🙂

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote pugetsoundboater:

I am looking for a very nice motor in this year range for a friend who has a beautiful 14′ Rienell 15″ transom wooden rowboat.
              Are there any years that are better than others, years with problems or weaknesses to avoid?
              We will be going to look at a 1954 Johnson 15 in extremely good cosmetic shape with tank for $425,Has not run in a few years ,so of course it will need all the normal maintenance .
              Any insights would be great.
              Thanks, Jim PSB

Not sure, but I don’t think Johnson made a 15hp in 54…So, take some pictures of the engine you are looking at for us…
              The only engines you might want to avoid are the 15hps in 55 and 56 that had the funky lower crankcase seals.
              I guess any of the others would be fine, it all comes down to mechanical/cosmetic conditions you are looking for, paint scheme preferences, etc. Just remember that just because the seller wants a big price, does not mean the engine is in great mechanical condition…The opposite is true as well, just because an engine looks lousy, does not mean it is in bad mechanical condition.
              I guess in the end, I would recommend the 57-58 18hp models by either Evinrude or Johnson.
              One final note, these engines use the pressure tank set up, so it would be nice if a decent tank is included in the sale.

eviltwin
              Participant

if you can go up one year to 59, the 59 Golden Jubilee 18 W/ electric start is my vote. Never should have sold mine, still see them out there though.

Mumbles
                Participant

The motor PSB is talking about is being shown as a ’54 but is actually a ’56 FD-10. It has been in storage for years and comes with the tank.

Attachments:

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Well, if looks count, that certainly is a beauty. I’d replace the lower crankshaft seal as well as the usual stuff. The ’55-58 are quieter and less vibration than the earlier ones.

chris-p
                    Participant

Is that the motor pictured above?

If it runs as good as it looks and comes with a tank nothing wrong with that at all!

Not sure where Crosbyman shops! Im on kijiji a lot, and buy up a lot of the motors near me. I don’t see any for 25 bucks lol. Well, maybe, but usually look like they came up from the bottom of a lake. I would always rather pay more for better cosmetics each and every time. If you are too cheap, you get what you pay for right.

Changing out the seal is not a huge deal, does not take long at all, seals are fairly cheap.

Mumbles
                      Participant

Here’s that infamous lower crank seal on these motors which keeps the owners guessing what’s wrong.

This one popped right out of the housing when I looked at it!

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 52 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.