Home Forum Ask A Member 1952- 58 Johnson or Evinrude 15/18 best years?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

The motor comes with a decent tank, have yet to see it in person. Thanks Mumbles for posting the photo.

So your guys experienced opinion problem with the 1956 15hp year is a bad lower crank seal. Hard to change,a complete teardown necessary? Seals are availiable ?

A definate bargaining chip on the price for sure. I can show this thread topic to the seller. Will do a comp test when I see it. Do all the 1959 have the square boxy looking cowlings,or was that Evinrude only? Bottom line,my friend likes the looks of this style motor for the 1952 boat. We have lots of time on our side to find the right one.
      Ok ,new replies just now so the seal is not a huge deal, will change regardless,gotta check it. . Yes the photo is the exact motor.
      Thanks guys, Jim PSB
      Thanks, Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

chris-p
      Participant

If it is original usually falls out as Jim stated! Not hard to pry out the rest of it, pop in new and away you go.

You pull off the powerhead to do. Usually need a new base gasket before you start.

20mercman
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Great photo of the crank seal! Thanks for posting it. We have a very nice original FD-10 that runs beautifully. The only major cosmetic flaw is that the original owner engraved his drivers license number in the hood! 🙄 I have three motors with this type of thing on them….. We have not replaced that crank seal, and as I said, it runs great, but will keep it in mind if it starts to act up. I used to be afraid of pressure tanks and thought there may have been issues with them, but this one convinced me that they work just fine.

Steve

😳 😳 😳 True story: Two years ago at Tomahawk, Kevin and I just launched the boat for the cruise and the parade, when the Mk-25 we were planning to run had a stuck float. (I have since replaced the float as it did it to me again this year), This was the polished motor I built from scrap parts, and it was running great before we left, but the ride to the show must have allowed to float to stick in the float bowl. In any event, three other fellows launched while we were messing with it, one being Ben Dittmar, all with FD-10’s. (What are the odds?) They pulled their ropes and drove away……. 👿 We did fix it, and were able to catch the cruise, as once it was running, it was running! 😀

Attachments:

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant

So it looks like the seal is no big deal, not a real good reason to avoid the 56. thanks for the heads up on the seal, thats why i asked the questions. 1956 should be a good year,i was born that year.
            Steve- WOW,that is a sweet looking Merc,had to take seriously long hours to polish that up!
            I will let you all know what becomes of the deal when i get to see the motor.
            Thanks, Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

Steve D
            Participant

quote pugetsoundboater:

Do all the 1959 have the square boxy looking cowlings,or was that Evinrude only? Thanks, Jim PSB

Evinrude had the square boxy look and Johnson wasn’t really boxy but started moving away from the look of previous years. These are both 1960 but the ’59 was the same shape for each.

quote Mumbles:

Here’s that infamous lower crank seal on these motors which keeps the owners guessing what’s wrong. This one popped right out of the housing when I looked at it!

I knew it would happen sooner or later. Now all you have to do is look at those seals and they pop right out…like a Jedi mind trick!

By the way Steve, that’s an awesome look for that Mercury!

PugetSoundBoater
              Participant

Steve D,so the Johnsons went to this style cowlings in your photo for the 59-63 or so years.

Robbie Robertson

Steve D
                Participant

59-61, then they went to this style for awhile (I think this was from Mumbles post on youtube)
                  photo hosting

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I started with a donnor qd …… $0
                    later came FD 25$ road side garage sale…. with stand , a dual hose tank and…. a Mercury plastic tank to boot 🙂

then there was a JW $50 I knew the deceased owner who had paid $50 for 2 JW 😯 …. his son sold me one for $50
                    another JW $40 on Kijiji was in a small town North of Montreal

another …JW my latest was $20 on Kijiji fuel tank full of bumps looked like hell and had 75-80 lbs both cyl. cracked coils

the 5.5 and 7.5 were also Kijiji deals all engines came with cracked coils 😀

MY Pristine 9.5 9622a was $50 down from asking price of $75 (no tank) it was locked solid for 3 weeks but loosened up nicely Being locked up I offered $50 because…. "I could be buying an anchor " 😆

My last 9622a asking $100 last week.. on Montreal KIJIJi I offered $75… proving to be a bit more challenging but it will live again The motor had been "on line" Sunday morning for 34 minutes when I saw it at $100 …. e-mail the seller at $75 and he agreed … the motor was in the basement 2 hours later

then there was the 3.9 Merc..and the 4W71R…..

Attachments:

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

amuller
                    Participant

I agree that the later motors with the fiberglass hoods are desirable mechanically. But they don’t have the aesthetics to go with a 1952 wooden boat. To my way of thinking the earlier ones are much more attractive for such a rig. So it is somewhat a question of priorities.

What is the first year to have thermostats? That would carry some weight with me.

The dual line pressure-tank setup can easily enough be replaced by a fuel pump. But again, the pressure tanks work and are period-correct for that boat.

PugetSoundBoater
                      Participant

if that tank gives me any grief, i will switch it to a single line tank. it can always get switched back.

Robbie Robertson

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 52 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.