Home Forum Ask A Member 1952- 58 Johnson or Evinrude 15/18 best years?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

the year they went with t stats would be nice to know, the 53 Evinrude i looked at recently sure pumped out the water. I would like to think that a fresh water motor with a good water pump should be ok..normally.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Generally speaking, thermostats appeared in 1959. 1958 on Evinrude Lark 35 and Johnson Super Sea Horse 35, and the V4-50 hps.

1946zephyr
        Participant

I’ve always found the 57 and 58 clamshell 18 Johny/Rudes to be the best. The later fiberglass hooded models are nice, but you have to watch out that the little rubber mounts aren’t eaten up with electrolysis and corrosion, which quickly break apart. This usually happens, when you beach the motor, or you decide to replace one that looks bad. I almost bet anyone my last buck, the nuts on them snap right off, during removal. Once these break, then your hood and lower pan together rattle a nice little chorus to you. The older clamshell versions held up a bit better when you beach the motor and if the rubber shock mounts are in good condition, the motor will run pretty quiet anyhow.
          I heard a lot here say the 1954 Johnson 10’s were pretty peppy.

Randy in Tampa
          Participant

I agree I like the 57- 58 the best myself, I like to convert mine to a single fuel line with a Briggs & Stratton fuel pump… 😎

quote 1946Zephyr:

I’ve always found the 57 and 58 clamshell 18 Johny/Rudes to be the best. The later fiberglass hooded models are nice, but you have to watch out that the little rubber mounts aren’t eaten up with electrolysis and corrosion, which quickly break apart. This usually happens, when you beach the motor, or you decide to replace one that looks bad. I almost bet anyone my last buck, the nuts on them snap right off, during removal. Once these break, then your hood and lower pan together rattle a nice little chorus to you. The older clamshell versions held up a bit better when you beach the motor and if the rubber shock mounts are in good condition, the motor will run pretty quiet anyhow.
            RICHARD A. WHITE
            Participant

Lifetime Member

I have a 1956 FDE 15 hp, it idles EXTREMELY low and runs very well at WOT…. gonna be hard to part with that one.. not a looker but definitely a runner

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
              classicomctools@gmail.com

wyo307
              Participant

I am just curious why for a 14ft boat are you looking at a 15-18hp motor not a 25-30hp? I have a 1952 14ft Larson that I am restoring right now and I plan to run a 1955 Johnson 25hp on it.

This motor had the same problem with the lower seal and it was very easy to pry the old one out and replace it with a new one I ordered off of wholesalemarine.com. I did the top seal at the same time just to be safe since I want this thing to be a runner for quite some time. I believe the seals were $8 and some change a piece. I also have a 1952 25hp Johnson that is a great runner but it doesn’t have electric start like my other one does so I don’t really want to use it on this boat.

Personally I prefer how the older green Johnsons look over the later red ones but that is just me. For me and my boat I think the green works better than the red, but the red still looks better on mine than the blue of the Evinrudes of the same era.

Just as a reference I just bought a 1955 Evinrude 15hp fastwin this week for $20. It is in complete condition although it has been painted the incorrect color at some point and it didn’t come with a tank. The normal tune up parts and this one should be good to go fishing in the spring.

1946zephyr
                Participant
                  quote Randy in Tampa:

I agree I like the 57- 58 the best myself, I like to convert mine to a single fuel line with a Briggs & Stratton fuel pump… 😎

quote 1946Zephyr:

That is actually simple to do. Even going factory is easy, with a later fuel pump and bypass cover 😎

labrador-guy
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is my favorite motor. (if I can get it to post) I bought this motor in up state New York. It was setting by the road waving at me as I drove buy! It took a bunch of dollars to get it going but it was worth it. I also have a ’57 18hp Erude. The two motors are really close in speed but, the 15 just runs a little bit better!

dale

Attachments:

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

LOVE that Super Fastwin.
                      . . 😆

20mercman
                      Participant

US Member

That’s a beautiful Super Fastwin. We have a 53 that Kevin picked up for free on Craigslist. It came in "Exploded View" as it literally came in 5 boxes. Some full of water….He put it all back together, but the power head was too far gone for repair. Al Lockhart kindly gave Kevin a replacement and it is all back together. I have the paint, but have not found the time for the final cosmetic restoration. Hopefully this winter we can finally get it finished. If it runs like the FD-10, and I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t, it will be a nice motor.

Steve

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 52 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.