Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 Evinrude 7.5 hp low speed dial

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MARC BOUCHER
    Participant

US Member

Hey Folks,
      I have a 1952 Evinrude 7.5 hp in which the low speed fuel adjustment know won’t stay tight. When the motor is going, the vibrations cause the dial to turn, and thus run very poorly, and eventually turn off. If I hold it in place, it runs fine, but obviously that is not a good long term solution.
      I had this exact same problem on my 1964 40 hp, and I just tightened up the nut (looks like this http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_search.php?part_num=303479) but when I did that on this motor the adjuster is still loose. Any ideas on what I am missing? Do I need to replace the needle?
      Thanks for any help you can provide!
      -Marc

Boats: '47 Dunphy, '64 Starcraft
      Motors:
      '53 Evinrude 25; '54 Evinrude 7.5; '55 Evinrude 7.5; '56 Evinrude 30 Lark; '56 Evinrude 16; '58 Johnson 18; '60 Evinrude 10; '64 Evinrude 40

David Bartlett
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You probably just need new packing washers, then tighten it up.

David Bartlett
        Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

1 user thanked author for this post.
        MARC BOUCHER
        Participant

US Member

New packing washers it was! Went out and got the last two they had at the marine store! Put them in last night and it was good to go. Thanks for the feedback. I had heard that some people suggest the washer close to the dial is supposed to be a nylon washer, and that I still put the two cork ones in – but the parts diagrams don’t ever show such a nylon one – was I just hearing things? Is there really supposed to be a nylon washer on the throttle needle? Just wondering…

Boats: '47 Dunphy, '64 Starcraft
          Motors:
          '53 Evinrude 25; '54 Evinrude 7.5; '55 Evinrude 7.5; '56 Evinrude 30 Lark; '56 Evinrude 16; '58 Johnson 18; '60 Evinrude 10; '64 Evinrude 40

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.